Help with cooker hood dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

My issue is that I want to get rid of this atrocious cooker hood and replace it with a nice chimney type jobbie but a problem I have is that the extraction point runs at a 90 degree angle to the left, along the tops of the cupboards and out the wall. If my reading of various threads on the forum is correct I believe that most of the chimney cooker hoods are suited to either top or side ventilation and that all that is required is a hole to be cut in the side. Is that correct?

If so, can you get nice chrome ducting as some of the ducting will be exposed. Here's a photo of my setup at present. I will be cutting that piece of architrave and running it down goths sides to finish the cupboards of. That therefore will leave any ducting slightly exposed to the eye. Any professional ideas will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

25tcoio.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cooker hood chimneys are usually just telescopic tubes of stainless steel that you adjust to suit your application - they are just a cover for the conventional duct inside.
There's nothing to stop you cutting an access hole in the side - if thats what you want - and boxing the horizontal duct in.
John :)

Thanks for the response mate. Not sure about boxing something in when it is in plain view though.

Have you ever came across chrome ducting? I basically just want it as an ornament but I would use the lights on it. What about those ones that recycle the air using the carbon filters?

Sponsored Links
That's exactly the setup I have at the minute. I think it looks retarded which is why I am looking for a different extractor.

Its going to take some imagination and not be exactly what you want, but to keep the existing duct line, by all means install your chimney hood but be prepared to cut a neat hole where the solid duct can enter and then be connected to the hood outlet.
Personally with the architrave returned to the wall I don't think the eye will see much thats offensive!

Its going to take some imagination and not be exactly what you want, but to keep the existing duct line, by all means install your chimney hood but be prepared to cut a neat hole where the solid duct can enter and then be connected to the hood outlet.
Personally with the architrave returned to the wall I don't think the eye will see much thats offensive!

Nice one mate, thanks for 'can do' attitude.

Do you know of any chrome duct that would suit my needs here? Though this isn't really necessary as it is more for decorative purposes I even want a hood. See myself being pushed towards the air recycle ones as I would be a light user.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back