Help with Crown matt emulsion (dries different colour with brush to roller)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a weekend I've had!!

Decided to paint the spare bedroom (our office basically) grey, and has turned into an utter nightmare. Basically the paint dries a different shade of grey dependant on what you use to put it on with.

I did the tops of the skirting board, and just under the ceiling with a brush and then used a roller for the big areas. There was a few little marks left, so I went over these with a brush.

It's dried horrible. It's all different shades of grey! I've done lots of painting over the years and never seen this issue before. Can't understand it.

Anyways, ended up putting on three coats and looks even worse! Last night I applied a line in the middle of a wall with a brush just as a test. It's dried light grey! WTF

I've searched on google, and think it's what's known as paint flashing. The recommendation is to paint it again (which I have)

2uz4376.jpg

anyone had this problem before? If I could roller the entire lot I would, but you can't get the roller everywhere.

The paint is crown matt emulsion city grey. First time I've used crown paint.

If I could be 100% certain buying a different brand would fix the issue I would. Paints expensive, so I'd rather not, but then again don't want to paint it again and have this issue. What a pain!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm a novice DIYer and very little paint experience but from my own experience this is going to be down to:
- different applicators apply paint differently
- drying times will differ
- hot weather will make things worse

I found the best way (there may be better methods) was to roll immediately after using a brush, and keep the whole wall evenly wet (a nightmare in this weather) so it dries evenly. I'd also paint either very early in the morning, or later in the evening, when it's cooler. I don't know whether that's trade or DIY paint but I found with trade paint, I had to thin by 10-20% to keep the paint reasonably wet and stop it drying out so much. I also ran the roller right up to the edges.

Thanks, good advice

It's boiling at the minute, the room was like an oven. Don't think that would have helped. Even early in the mornings is hot in that room, and when it does start to cool at night it's too dark to see anything properly.

The first couple of coats were thinned down, maybe I'll get a 4" roller and use that.

was it bare plaster, or previously painted?

emulsion on walls and ceilings looks better with a roller. If you have to cut in with a brush it's best to zip over it with a roller before it dries to align the texture. If a roller won't fit you can stipple it lightly with the end of the brush.

Sponsored Links
No, it's been painted before (only once though by the house builders). I'd have thought four coats would have done the trick. Not so bothered about the texture, but the colour is totally different.

Had an idea....bought a 4" roller and repainted the wall from top to bottom with a combination of small and larger rollers. Now the colour is uniform.
Next problem! Due to the 25+ degree heat the paint is drying far too fast meaning sometimes I am going over paint with the roller when it's starting to slightly go off. I'm talking within 5 minutes!

anyway, any other paint would be fine but not this crown crap. It's dried and looks ok.....but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's annoying me

am I being too picky, or does the wall need coat number 6?

2i89lq8.jpg

Getting there!

My cheap 4" roller has been amazing!

Used frog tape and basically painted the entire room with a damn 4" roller. Went fast as hell making sure I absolutely loaded the paint on.

It's drying and I can already tell it's nigh on perfect. Been looking at it from all angles whilst the sun is on it. I'm happy!

10 litres to cover a 3m x 2.5m bedroom lol > I'm surprised the walls havent started warping.

The amount of money I've spent, I could have bought a £90 5l tin of little greene and had done with it. Now THAT'S an impressive paint. 3% sheen, that's an OCD'ers dream paint.

DROOLS > https://www.littlegreene.com/paint/collection/grey/scree-227

I'll ring crown in the morning and have a word.

I had the same problem with a "purple" Dulux Trade matt years ago. I had to thin it, add lots of Floetrol and roll/cut in as fast as possible (maintaining a wet edge).

I'm gonna have to call it a day and either live with it, or buy something else and start over again. It's 95% ok

I've had this problem with Dulux diamond matt recently - the weather is really not helping!

I seem to have got round it by inventing 'Bikram Decorating' raising the humidity in the room (downstairs cloakroom) by closing all the doors/windows & putting a big tub of hot water in there - yes the room felt a lot hotter but the humidity stopped the paint drying too quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back