Help with down lighters set up please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

please could you help. I have purchased two sets of five downlighters from b and q. Both sets come with a transformer and are linked with 0.75 twin cable. the last one in the chain has only the clip fitting for the last light. However I would like to join the other five so that they all run off the same switch. I have cut the last one off and joined by joining block 1.5 cable as an extension and then put that cable end to the other transformer but No lights! The first lot light up but the second lot don't? Do I have to use 0.75 cable to join? HELP! what am I doing wrong? Also can I just run these to a plug with out and earth?

Regards
Joe

Sponsored Links
The transformers require mains 230 volts at their input. They give out a lower voltage for the lights.

The lower voltage is not the right voltage for the input of the tranformers you have, that is why the second set are not working.

The input of both transformers need to be connected to the neutral and switched live mains supply.

If there is an earth terminal on the transformers then it MUST be earthed. If there is an earth terminal on the lamps then these too MUST be earthed

I have cut the last one off and joined by joining block 1.5 cable as an extension and then put that cable end to the other transformer but No lights!
Of course not - you're supplying the 2nd transformer with 12V, not 230, so it won't work.

HELP! what am I doing wrong?
If someone asked you to explain to them how electrical circuits work, what voltage our supply is, what it means when a bulb says "12V" on it, would you even be able to begin?

The first thing you did wrong was deciding that it would be perfectly OK to fiddle with your electrics when you know full well that you don't have a clue how any of it works.

If a transformer takes 230V in and turns it into 12V out how on earth could you think that putting 12V in would work?

Doing things utterly wrong with electrics can, and does, kill, and I'm sorry, but you are so clueless that the chances of you doing something equally and ridiculously wrong are too high for me to want to say anything other than please get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Please be aware that downlighters can easily cause trouble:
  • in flats they might be breaking the law if they penetrate a fire barrier ceiling and you don't have intumescent pots fixed over them
    under a loft they must be in sealed pots to prevent moisture escaping into the loft and to protect them from contacting loft insulation
    in a kitchen they can leak cooking smells upstairs
anybody got a ladder so I can get down off my high horse? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back