halogen down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to install 4 hologen 12v down lights in a small study
i have a celing rose already
is the following method correct

i will remove the celing rose and replace it with a junction box
from the switched live and neutral run a 1.5mm cable to the first transformer then dasy chain to each transformer
is this method correct and do i terminate the cable in the last transformer or do i return it back to the junction box
i will use chock boxes
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
will the junction box be accessable or hidden under the floor?
you dont need to creat a ring, just loop from one light to the next until the end.

i wish to install 4 hologen down lights in a small study
Why? If this is a workspace, fluorescent lighting would be much better and more economical.

Why? Some transformers can blow as often as bulbs.

i will remove the celing rose and replace it with a junction box
How do you propose to keep this accessible for maintenance and inspection?

from the switched live and neutral run a 1.5mm cable to the first transformer then dasy chain to each transformer
1.5mm? Is the rest of the circuit in 1.5mm? Most arent.

is this method correct and do i terminate the cable in the last transformer or do i return it back to the junction box
Terminate. Lighting isnt done in rings, and if it was, this isnt how the ring would look.

As long as the junction boxes are accessible and not just buried under a floor, be it from a loft above or via pulling them out through the downlight holes below, what you propose sounds fine.

As Steve said, don't try to wire the fittings in a ring. However, contrary to what he said, I agree with your decision to go with 12v lamps and transformers. They provide a better quality light and are more efficient in producing that light than the 230v halogen dichroics.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want a dark room with four bright spots in to study in?

Only joking it all sounds fine to me apart from the ring bit.

But seriously there are better types of ways of lighting a study than spots

Martin

thanks for all the replys
all connections will be accessible via the loft
the wife wants halogen lights so thats what its going to be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back