Disconnecting and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a loft conversion with 2 wall lights + a celing light.
I wish to remove the wall lights.

The cable from the switch goes to the first wall light, then up to
the celing light and then from the celing rose there is a spur to
the second wall light.

Do I need part p certification to
a. remove the wall light nearest the swich and replace with a junction box?
b. disconnect the spur to the second wall light from the celing rose (and leave the dead cable in the wall)?

Ive tried to read part p, which says you can add to a circut (not in a special area) but I cant find the bit about removing cables...

Cheers !

Sponsored Links
Do I need part p certification to
a. remove the wall light nearest the swich and replace with a junction box?
No.
Technically yes, because you are installing something (the junction box), and doing that is not one of the activities exempted from notification in Schedule 2B.

Does that make any sense whatsoever? No.

Who said that the law has to make sense? Nobody.

Will anybody ever ask you for a Building Regulations completion certificate for the installation of that JB?. IANAL, but no.

Sponsored Links
Hmm,
Thanks for the replies.

So disconnecting the spur at the celing rose - fine
- replacing the the first wall light with a junction box - grey area?

Interesting though, if I am right, I could add a light to an existing circuit (as long as it isnt in a special location) without a part P certificate, but If I wish to remove that light and make the wires safe (by using a junction box or similar), I may need certification?

So disconnecting the spur at the celing rose - fine
- replacing the the first wall light with a junction box - grey area?
So grey as to be almost white. Call it #FEFEFE.. ;)

Interesting though, if I am right, I could add a light to an existing circuit (as long as it isnt in a special location) without a part P certificate, but If I wish to remove that light and make the wires safe (by using a junction box or similar), I may need certification?
Yup.

But don't dwell on it - you'll go mad....
arg.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back