Help with electrical problem

David F said:
Ok i have turned all the lecky off and fed my comp from next doors with an extension. Still get interference!!

To clarify, you still got interference on your PC? Did you try feeding your TV (just TV) from next door with all the power off in your place? Did you get interference on your TV then?

Sponsored Links
Fubar: yes i fed the tv as well as the pc(seperately) and still got interference.

Waran: Thanks for the link, much apreciated

waran said:
You could allways ask Ofcom to investigate

Ah, looks like Ofcom has taken over the role of the DTi Radio Investigations Service. I'll update my post.

Sponsored Links
I have taken the pc to my sisters and it's fine, the tv is'nt going anywhere though as it's a 32"w/s that weighs the same as a small country :D

Do you have access to another PC or TV that you could bring into your house?

If your kit shows problems even when powered from elsewhere, works OK in othe locations, and other kit also shows problems in your house, you've got a pretty good indication of EMI.

A sudden thought - if you have a multisync monitor, does the problem get better/worse if you adjust the refresh rate via the properties?

Well i have two monitors(One crt and tft) the problem shows on both of these quite badly. When i first noticed the problem it was showing at 75hz, i droped the refresh to 60hz and it disappeared(at this time it wasnt showing on the tv)now even with the refresh at 60hz i can see it and at 75hz it's like watching some hallucinogenic film!! over the last few months i have noticed it on the tv so i think it's time to deal with it once and for all.

Is it cable tv and cable broadband???

When you routed the cable for the broadband was it ran next to 230v wiring? Try diconnecting the cable from the modem.

Also, disconnect the tv from the cable and use your aerial, see if the interferrance disappears.

Bash the side of the appliances with your fist!

It's cable broadband but the tv is normal analogue aerial. I've disconnected the cable from the modem and even from the wall socket but no luck. What exactly would cause EMI in a house? can wiring running too close to pipes cause this?

Bumping this as i need some possible suggestions for causing EMI in a house if the electrics are off. just need to go over things before i finaly give Ofcom a call, they charge if the problem is inside you premises :(

David F said:
Bumping this as i need some possible suggestions for causing EMI in a house if the electrics are off. just need to go over things before i finaly give Ofcom a call, they charge if the problem is inside you premises :(

fubar said:
b) something with its own power source - perhaps connected to another service such as the telephone system or cable TV/telephone; or perhaps battery-power telephone, mobile 'phone or other battery-powered thing

c) external influences such as local CB or amateur radio enthusiasts, a new open-channel radio user such as the (very) local supermarket, emergency services, cab or taxi company, school, bus or railway station; or a mobile 'phone mast

[snip]

Keep asking yourself this question: if XXX is the cause of the interference, how does this explain symptoms A, B ... Z ? The cause with the least assumptions and conditions is most likely to be the true cause.

Ok i contacted Ofcom and they wont help, nice of them. I'm at my witts end with this, is there any sort of regulatory body i can contact with regards to this? the council dont want to know saying it's not their problem(even though they installed the wiring/heating) so go figure.
Surely there are meters of some sort that can find EMI/RF interference? if i can just pinpoint it it's a start!
Your desperately.
Dave

I havn't followed all the posts....

We were asked to install a clean earth for a group of computers that suffered flickering problems etc. Before installing the clean earth, we did a PIR on the offices. The Neutral on a PME supply at begun to corrode at the point the concentric cable was jointed to the pole outside. The earth bonding was allowing a substantial amount of current to flow, and the Neutral wasn't quite 'missing', so also allowed a small amount to flow. On correcting this fault (the elec board had to be called out), the computers behaved lovely.

We were also called to a shopping complex where a metal halide lamp had blown, so the control gear was open circuit, and causing interferance with a nearby radio mast which was for the old RAF base. (I guess the masts are still used). The DTI informed the shop in the complex of the cause and gave them a deadline to get it sorted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back