Electric cables in conservatory - should they be diagonal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

very quick question. Had a new conservatory added onto the house recently and the electrician has run cables for sockets/light switch and light.

He has run all the cables either vertically or horizontally except for the cable that goes into the roof for the light which runs diagonally along the wall of the house.

Should this be done like this? Makes it tricky to know where the cables are once its been plastered?

any thoughts or comments gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When you say diagonally across the wall, is the cable within 150mm of the conservatory roof & following the roof line up to the apex & the circuit has an rcd?
if so no problem.
  • if not then its not ideal & the cable should be
    1) a minimum of 50mm below finished wall surface.
    2) have earthed armour or earthed metal sheath.
    3) be enclosed inside earthed metal conduit or trunking.
    or
    4) have mechanical protection to prevent penetration by nails or screws.

Hey comms, I believe it may be within 150mm from the conservatory roof.
That's answered my questions perfectly.

Many thanks for the speedy answer :)

I've been informed by a friend on page 23 of the
building regs part p electrical safety guide:

Cables should be routed in 'safe zones' horizontally or vertically from fittings or close to corners or at ceiling level. Cables should not be run diagonally or outside these zones.

Sponsored Links

Cables should be routed in 'safe zones' horizontally or vertically from fittings or close to corners or at ceiling level. Cables should not be run diagonally or outside these zones.

Anywhere within 150mm of the ceiling is a safe zone. If the cables are within that area then what your sparky has done is absolutely fine.

Anywhere within 150mm of the ceiling is a safe zone. If the cables are within that area then what your sparky has done is absolutely fine.

The document kinda indicates that diagonal is wrong and outside of the zones is wrong. So it implies that diagonal and inside the zone is still wrong.

I'm baffled.

Dont be baffled.
As Mr Holms said 150mm is 150mm, if you want to zigzag the cable in that 150mm space you crack on.... its classed as a safe zone nomatter what the angle of the dangle is.

building regs part p electrical safety guide ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back