Solution to cable-nailing worries!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been to inspect a rental property and found an ingenius solution to the age-old problem of non-standard cable routes in plastered walls. You simply patch up your chasings extremely badly. So badly in fact, that even anaglypta wallpaper can't hide them from view. It's like being able to x-ray every wall!!!

The property has been extensivley 'rewired'. Added-to willy-nilly, is what they meant. My favourite feature was the 'his and hers' reading lights in the bedroom. The cable origin was an old single socket outlet from where the cable ran vertically up the wall about five feet high, where it made a right-angle bend, ran along horizontally for a couple of feet then dropped down vertically to a bedside switch. From the switch it ran diagonally up to a light fitting and also horizontally to a second switch, from where a diagonal run went to the second light fitting. A true work of art.

Sponsored Links
Of course, they could just be screwing with you. The previous owner might have been a mischevious spark who added the "false chasing" so you will think you are safe and drill into the 100A radials he has installed everywhere else, just to catch you out :LOL:

I knew someone who was a bit like that with their DIY, they bought a house that had been bodged for 20 years with the intention of "doing it up"... still has it and whilst cosmetically it is slightly better the wiring is probably even worse now. I wouldn't live in that house even if I had a penchant for smearing myself in insulating gel and wore a rubber suit. But that is enough about my personal life... :D

Just a thought, we are not allowed to talk about "man" at work now, it is "human" or "personnel"... so, what is the new version of "his and hers"? You could argue that it is non-discriminatory as there is one for each sex, but then you could argue that it is unfair towards gay couples... perhaps "bit*h and butch" would be more politically correct! :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back