Help with existing alarm connection to fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

A friend has recently moved house, and I decommissioned and removed the Accenta G4 Mini alarm system that I fitted for her a few years earlier. She would like me to fit this system into the new property for her. There is already an old panel (Texecom Veritas:cool: in the new property which I will be removing. However, this is where I have encountered an issue;

I have discovered that the panel is wired directly into the mains instead of being wired to a 3A unswitched FCU. The panel is wired to the mains with 2.5mm T&E, and the earth core is unsleeved. I have attempted to trace the T&E cable back and it runs down some trunking and then under the floor, and after that I cannot tell where it goes to. The fuse box is only a metre away in the understairs cupboard so I am presuming that the cable runs back to it.

The main fuse box is an old cream-coloured 4-way Wylex unit. It has 3x Blue 15A fuses in it, and 1x Red 30A fuse. They are all the old rewireable type fuses.

There is a second, smaller, 3-way Wylex fuse box, and it has 1x Blue 15A fuse, 1x Yellow 20A fuse, and 1x Grey 5A fuse. These fuses are also the old rewireable type, apart from the Grey 5A fuse which is a cartridge fuse.

Neither of the fuse boxes have written within the covers what the fuses are for.

There is also an old Venner time switch (NEEB branded, for those who remember it in the North), and a modern NEDL branded digital meter present.

I am concerned about the safety of this installation. The owner of the property says that the alarm was installed many many years ago, and worked fine for years until one day she 'smelled burning' from the panel and had it disconnected (backup battery removed and the 1.6A glass fuse has been removed from the mains terminal block in panel) I know that there really should be a 3A unswitched FCU fitted to allow for safe isolation of the panel but there is not one present.

Which brings me onto my questions:

1. Am I safe to replace the panel if I simply switch off both fuse boxes?

2. Does it sound like the alarm is wired into the lighting circuit (5A) as the other fuses are rated too highly for it to be on their circuits?

3. Is this type of installation safe?

4. Is it safe/legal for me to fit a 3A unswitched FCU myself, by simply connecting the T&E cable into the supply side of the spur, and running a piece of T&E from the load side of the spur into the mains terminal block of the panel?

Apologies for the long post, and if this should really be in the alarm section then please mods, feel free to move it there.

I just want to be safe and avoid any chance of myself or anyone else being electrocuted, killed, or burning the house down!

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-21_12-44-12.png
    upload_2015-9-21_12-44-12.png
    137 bytes · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
1. Am I safe to replace the panel if I simply switch off both fuse boxes?

Only if your prove it dead after doing so. It has been known for folk to bodge intruder alarm circuits into the supply side of the main isolator in the mistaken belief that this prevented it being switched off

2. Does it sound like the alarm is wired into the lighting circuit (5A) as the other fuses are rated too highly for it to be on their circuits?

Could be, might not be. You probably should investigate which circuit

3. Is this type of installation safe?

Impossible to say without all the details, but a local fused spur should be installed

4. Is it safe/legal for me to fit a 3A unswitched FCU myself, by simply connecting the T&E cable into the supply side of the spur, and running a piece of T&E from the load side of the spur into the mains terminal block of the panel?

As long as you have isolated before carrying out the work, then it will be an improvement. I prefer flex from the spur into the panel (the flex should be suitably restrained at both spur and panel)

As it is wired in 2.5mm twin and earth and has its own internal fuse it is "safe" which ever fuse it is connected to as the fuse is to protect the cable not the alarm box which has its own fuse.
However I would wire it into the 5A circuit. No fcu needed but an isolation switch would be nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back