Help with external rendering texture matching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attempted to repair some small areas and match the external rendering texture on my house but I’m not happy with the result. The house was built around the 1950’s and covered with what I think is an ‘Acoustic’, ‘Popcorn’, or ‘Cottage Cheese’ style of texture (see image).

Does anyone know how I can mix or where to purchase the render mix to produce this older texture style? I have tried using a Wickes readymade texture mix and flicked on using a cheap Tyrolean gun but the result was not the same!

I was wondering if I would need to make a mix myself perhaps by mixing in very small polystyrene pieces or similar? Also perhaps I could use a rendering brush but I have not found any sources of such that would produce a similar texture.

I applied the texture coating to repair some small areas onto a top coat of lime, sand, cement mix (again from Wickes) which I applied on top of the existing scratch coat and left to dry for a week. I’m wondering if there is a way to remove the texture coat I applied using a sander of some type or if I would need to hammer/chisel it all out so I can retry agin with hopefully a better matching texture!

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I don't know for definite what that texture is. It looks like tyrolean, but it could also be a very small pebbledash. Has it been painted or is that the original colour?
One thing i will say though, you'll never patch it up perfectly no matter how hard you try. It's impossible to do an invisible repair on any textured/rough surface. You can get it to look not too bad with a bit of work, but you will always see it.

Hi roughcaster

The texture has been painted over and that is my other problem, trying to match the paint colour! Have given up and now facing the task of painting the whole house in Wickes Sandstone masonry paint, well at least 1 side at a time!

There are no stones in the texture, I have broke open a few lumps to check, it seems to be the mix has been applied in such as way to create that pebbledash look, so probably is tyrolean then? would tyrolean be typically easier to create those 'splodges'? The ready made textured mix I tried did have a similiar picture of them on the instructions as though it was possible to somehow reproduce them, but I tried the mix as it came and also watered down a few times and never managed to make that effect at all!

Because the whole house has been done in the same texture, is it possible that a Gun would have been originally used? It would seem a lot of effort and perhaps a brush or sprayer would have been used?

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Very difficult to say what it is then. Probably some old locally-made cement wall finish mix, knocked up and applied at the time, with no hope of mixing an identical batch today. Maybe some of the other guys might have an idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back