Help with fitting a vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i was looking to put a intake vent in my attic, i have just a wall that leads to outside which would be perfect for air intake.
I wasnt sure if i could just drill away a hole and fit a vent, is it safe to drill through a wall?

The only other option is that i have a sill above my window which is in the attic, but thats extremely difficult to work with because of the tightness. (only my hands will fit down there)
May sound a bit silly to you guys, but im new at this sort of stuff.

Any help appreciated
Dave :D

Sponsored Links
Go to a hire shop and hire a core drill.

Yes you can drill through walls we do it vertually every day. All kinds of walls in all kinds of places, sometimes it goes through like a knife through butter others it drags on and on. But we always win in the end. Get the equipment and persevere.

thanks for replying...

Can I use a normal hammer drill to do the job?

Also can i do the work from inside? ... i havent got a ladder. lol, sorry.

:)

Core drills are neat but they are also a ball-ache and unless you have the best kit they can be quite dangerous when the bit snags!
I prefer to stitch drill with a long 10 -12mm SDS bit and knock the 'core' out with an SDS chisel then patch up with sand and cement. You will need to beg steal or borrow some ladders though.
Normal hammer drill wont be much cop. One of those cheap rotary hammer nu-tool or power devil SDS drills from the sheds along the lines of this will make light work of it. I got a couple of smaller 620 watt ones from Makro recently for £15 quid +vat each.

Sponsored Links
It cost me £12 to hire a diamond core drill before I had the "best" one, and the cores are about the same. Get the plastic fitting forst and measure it, you probably need a 117mm to get elephants trunking through.

Watch the hire charge on the core. You probably won't wear it enough to measure but HSS assume a minimum of 1mm at £50 or similar. You should get a hole which needs no making good, in around 10 minutes. If the wall is a toughie, drill a couple of holes on the circle just to help dust clear. They needn't go right through the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back