help with fixing item into stud wall cavity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I need some advice on mounting some wall cabinets.

I've got a wall bookshelf (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80116676) it's 120cm x 35cm by 28cm deep. It weights about 15kb plus whatever I put in (which will probably be cd's).

It's going on a stud wall (it was only built 5 years ago so isn't old if that matters) but the mount points go into the hollow and I'd rather not take the wall apart to fix noggins.

Would using toggle bolts do the job? If so, can anyone recommend a size. Or even an alternative.

I don't think this matters as I guess it's not the shear weight that counts but it will be 'rested' on the top of a solid wood stand (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30133942).

I actually have two of these to mount, one on top of the other :)

Sponsored Links
With a heavy object like that, fixing into a timber noggin/s would be the safest way. It wouldn't be a difficult job to cut out a small section of p/board, fit in a couple of noggins, then put back the small piece/s of plasterboard you cut out,,, then tape/paint it over. Have you a chippy friend that could help/advise you?

roughcaster is right, a hollow stud wall will struggle to carry the units, even more so when full of stuff.
I would install the noggins, unless you can locate the stud work within the wall and fix to that, but you'd be a lucky so and so, if it was suitably located for the units.
And beware of cables/pipe work that could be in the wall, they need locating too.

Cheers. I'll do that then. I'm just lazy :)

When I was browsing fixings and stuff I read some sites that said toggle bolts could easily carry a kitchen cabinet on a hollow wall, but figured I'd get a better answer here.

Sponsored Links
toggles or hollow wall anchors can carry medium loads, but I would not recommend them, for something you are going to use as storage, that is already quite bulky. Better safe than sorry, as they can fail and pull out of the wall boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back