Help with garage conversion problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old mans been a builder for over 35 years and converted the garage into a bedroom for when i had to move back into the house. Due to time constraints i appreciate it was a little rushed and done on a tight budget.

I've been living in here for around 18 months and have been suffering health problems for a fair while. The floor only had a loosely laid membrane on and a carpet, upon lifting i could see that the concrete was soaking. The room also suffered from condensation problems. Since then a proper DPM has been laid properly and a 5* Star Gold Underlay with laminate flooring. The condensation issue is no longer a problem. I do however smell a rubbery smell whenever i have the heating (oil-filled radiator) on a good heat for a period of time which i can only assume is the DPM.

After heavy rain there is also a dampness smell and say i've had a meal in here, the odour will hang about for quite some time.

The garage is a flat roof and 5 and half inch concrete walls, all of which have been insulated with rockwool and have had foil-back plasterboard fitted to a stud. Double-glazed windows are locked open for ventilation.

I've fell out with my Dad for questioning his work and he thinks i'm deluded but to me the faults are clearly evident. I'm stuck for ideas at the moment and it's really getting me down at the moment. Please offer any advice you can.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back