Screed depths for a garage conversion - Please HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Raising garage floor and need some better informed views;

DPM on floor (either 1200 gauge sheet or painted on stuff), 100mm Celotex then do I lay concrete, then screed or just straight screed?

How thick can Screed be laid - I think I will need (after the celotex) to raise the floor about 4-6 inches, could this just be screed?

Also Im hoping someone can simply drive up and pump the stuff through a hoze/window space onto garage floor?

Any help appreciated BN :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Dpm, celotex then screed directly on top.

Perhaps tape the joints with foil tape.

Brick the door up to dpc. Then do the floor so there is no need for any window access. Whilst you are at it try and do as much as you can inside the conversion prior to blocking off the access.

Sponsored Links
I figure placing a suspended floor, air bricks, insulation plus floor clearance is more "fiddly" than laying down Screed?!

Having a raised floor has its bonus's in that pipework etc can be hidden im just unsure how to raise the insulation to fix it under the floor...someone said chickenwire? and then I have to sort airbricks for ventilation? just a little more confusing to understand whats what I guess

I figure placing a suspended floor, air bricks, insulation plus floor clearance is more "fiddly" than laying down Screed?!

Having a raised floor has its bonus's in that pipework etc can be hidden im just unsure how to raise the insulation to fix it under the floor...someone said chickenwire? and then I have to sort airbricks for ventilation? just a little more confusing to understand whats what I guess

Timber floor gives you more options to conceal pipes, cables etc . It really is easy to do. Feels better also undefoot.
If you lay a concrete floor- you have to decide how you will finish it (on surface). Asphalt ? (more expense) or paint it ?
Timber is my personal choice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back