Help with hardwood door valuation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can someone help me value a stained glass hardwood front door?

I recently replaced it with a UPVC one - I would have thought the glass itself would be worth some money.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Here it is:
image-jpg.84663

image-jpg.84665

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
That glass dosen't look original to me. I see them every Saturday at the local auction £35 - £55. I'd say that one is at the lower end.

Sorry to say that is not traditional , that is definately modern day decorative , at best 30 years old. Guessing it is on laminate glass too , looking at the ' milky ' edges. Door is probably worth more than the glass second hand

. . . And the door is softwood not hardwood unless I am very much mistaken.

Sponsored Links
Looks like possibly Douglas Fir to me or could be Scots pine which was used for joinery. Difficult to know exactly.
From the grain pattern and the knots it's softwood though.

I'm no expert on doors but I was told it is hardwood - it weighs about 30kg!
I'm with Dave. I've seen lots of doors which look like that when stripped - they are almost all Douglas Fir (the rotary cut veneer on the plywood panels gives it away). Hundreds of thousands were imported from Canada between the 1930s and the late 1950s. Weight alone isn't a good indicator of whether or not a door is hardwood - pitch pine (a softwood) often weighs more that hardwoods, including oak

Thanks very much for your advice - I've certainly learnt some great info here. So, if I was to advertise this door, do you think £80 would be unreasonable?

eBay will show you how much things sold for; search for "front door", then turn on "wood" and "used" and "sold listings". Ignore anything with a line through the price.

£80 sounds optimistic to me but it might make sense as a starting price for a "or best offer" sale.

Way too optimistic for a door with modern glass. I'd be surprised if you get much over £30. I just stick mine in the local auction.

If you ebay it, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay. But I wouldn't go near it for £80. And it looked better before it was stripped.

It's not just the modern glass, the opening is a weird shape and it's not a very attractive door. I'd be surprised if anyone wanted it.

The opening has been cut to fit the modern glass. It's a scrapper. Totally worthless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back