Help with hive wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody help how I would wire this up to my hive please .

Attachments

• IMG-9293.jpeg
    IMG-9293.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Hi Hanni_han2008 welcome to the forum.

It would appear that you already have a room thermostat connected via the black and grey wires. That should be disconnected and removed. Then the two vacant terminals that presently have the grey and black wires in them.......

Capture.JPG

....would be connected to the Hive (Single Channel Version) terminals '1 Common' and, '3 Heating on'. It doesn't matter which way around that they go.

Capture (1).JPG

Finally the Hive needs a 230V supply connecting to N and L to provide it with operating power. This should come from the same 3A fused spur as the boiler. The N & L can be connected directly to the 'load' side of the fused spur, or the N and L boiler terminals, whichever is easier.

If the boiler has any built in time control, this should be set to be permanently 'on' 24/7, otherwise it will interfere with the operation of the Hive

If you have had to open up a room sealed compartment of the boiler to access the wiring terminals (This is not the case with all boilers, with some you do & some you don't) then it should have only been done by a RGI (Gas Safe Engineer) who can make the appropriate checks to make sure that it is sealed up again properly afterwards.

For next time, you should really have started your own new thread rather than tag your question onto someone else's. This is known as 'Hi-jacking' and is against the Forum Rules. Also, when you start your own thread, it will be flagged as a 'new post' and seen more easily by those that can assist you, rather than being hidden away at the bottom of an old thread.

Sorry about that I was unsure how to do a new thread.
What about the earth wire do I need to just ignore that part and just wire in what you have said. Do I have to put the grey wire in or can I just put the black wire in?
Where would the brown and blue wire to then the green and yellow?
Sorry to as 101 questions

The grey and black wires will go to the existing room thermostat. As I said before, the old thermostat, and the existing wires to it should be disconnected and removed.

The then vacant terminals where the black and grey wires were connected to, should now be connected to Hive terminals (1) and (3)

The other wires below won't change. Leave them connected as they are. This is the mains supply for the boiler.

Capture.JPG

Sponsored Links
Oh really so the only wires I need to play with is the grey and black and that's it? Will this let me turn the heating up and down on and off even away from home As will need to connect to the hub so the green light comes on

Plus you need the 230V to power the Hive. Once the old room thermostat and wiring is removed, this is how the Hive should be connected. I've shown the 230V connected to the boiler terminals, but if it's easier for you, you could wire it directly to the fused spur instead as I described earlier.

Hive.jpg

Plus you need the 230V to power the Hive. Once the old room thermostat and wiring is removed, this is how the Hive should be connected. I've shown the 230V connected to the boiler terminals, but if it's easier for you, you could wire it directly to the fused spur instead as I described earlier.

View attachment 163626
Although plan shows 4 wires, you actually need 5, the earth is not actually used, but regulations require it is run even when not used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back