Help with Icon boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having an extension done at the back of our house which will take in a wall upon which is a boiler flue (see pic) - we need the flue moving - and thought it could be boxd in and extended to come out of the extenion on the left hand wall (again, see pic). The plumber guy tells us there are no new flues available for our boiler - which is a Travis Perkins Combi Icon - which is about seven years old.

But he can fit a new Valliant for £1500 ... :eek:

What is so difficult about taking the flue off the wall, constructing some kind of piope - surely these things must be pretty much the same diameter and then reusing the old end bit on the outside wall ... ?

Anyone any ideas about this - am I being regally shafted - ?? Cos it sounds like it ...

I might add I know nothing about boilers etc as you can imagine ...

Any help appreciated.

Picture4.jpg

Sponsored Links
"""What is so difficult about taking the flue off the wall, constructing some kind of piope - surely these things must be pretty much the same diameter and then reusing the old end bit on the outside wall ... ? """

Well at least a lovely clear posting with a pretty picture so we all know exactly what the problem is! Pity others are not so well prepared.

To answer your question, you are largely right than many flues are much the same and could probably be cobbled together and would probably work.

However, gas safety requires that only components approved by the manufacturer as suitable can be used.

The Icon boiler is something of a cheapie sold at builder's merchants and not well supported with spares. Its now quite old and non condensing so its not surprising that flue parts are no longer available.

I think that you will have to have a new boiler. At least a vaillant will be condensing and a good make and you seem to have got a good price. I would recomment that a more powerful than 24 kW model is fitted though.

Tony

Thanks for your reply Tony.

Vailliant seem to have a good rep - been doing a few searchs on the net and they come up as a reliable make. Our Icon was fitted by a guy who was a mate of a guy I worked with then, qualified plumber but he recommended the Icon - I since found it becuase he was familiar with it and knew how to fit them ... not ideal.

The gas valve goes every single year (luckily in the summer) and so renders it useless for a couple of days. Plus, we have noticed the odd leak recently.

So not the best as you say. How much better would a Vailliant be - and you think that is a fair price for a new supply and install ... ?

If we are going to notice the results by getting one - maybe that would be best. the plumber guy thnks the Icon will only last a few more year s(three or four) at best.

Any more advice you can give would be appreciated.

More powerful than 24kW? What should we be looking at as a minimum - three bed detahced place - is that the info to decide the strength of the boiler??

The gas valve on the Icon has been modified and if the later one was fitted last time it should not stick again at the beginning of July.

The boiler power of a combi is determined by the hot water requirement.

A 24 kW is struggling when its cold and a 28 or 30 kW is the norm now in an owner occupied property.

That price looks very reasonable if inclusive but is probably for a 24 kW but ask and pay the bit extra for a 28/30 kW.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The gas valve on the Icon has been modified and if the later one was fitted last time it should not stick again at the beginning of July.

The boiler power of a combi is determined by the hot water requirement.

A 24 kW is struggling when its cold and a 28 or 30 kW is the norm now in an owner occupied property.

That price looks very reasonable if inclusive but is probably for a 24 kW but ask and pay the bit extra for a 28/30 kW.

Tony

You say inclusive - do you mean WITH Vat by that - no it's without Vat ...

And it's nowehere near a 24kW - he said it was an 18kW and was more than adequate for our house ...

Stupid question but was our Icon 23T a 23kW?

From what I remember our pipes are quite thin (15mm?) and certainly not 22mm whioch I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this site.

Plus we have microbore pipes (?) going to some rads - not good I know. But I feel we should be getting more for our money if you know what I mean ...

It seems that you are now trying to say that you have a system boiler heating a hot water cylinder.

The Icon 23T is a combi but yours may be a combi used as a system boiler.

An 18 kW will be adequate as a system boiler if thats what you have got. The price you mentioned sounds rather expensive if its plus VAT and a system boiler.

Without knowing exactly what you have got then I cannot comment.

You said you have a combi boiler and thats what an Icon 23T normally is. An 18 kw is NOT a combi boiler!

Tony

That was what he said to be yesterday - he has now dropped round a brochure ...

it is the Vaillant EcoMax 28 NG

Details:

http://www.wholesaleheating.co.uk/acatalog/Vaillant-EcoMax-828-2E-.html

24kW output ... seems a good boiler and he says it is fine for our house - although he hasn't looked at anything, measured any pipe widths, counted the no. of rads etc.

I'm sure it'll be an improvement over our Icon 23T though ... but two grands worth?

Hmmm ...

Thanks again Agile - your further thoughts would be appreciated!

Thats a 28 kW boiler !!!

I gather the Ecomax is being discontinued but its generally considered to be a better boiler than the Ecotec which will become the standard boiler.

Tony

Thanks for your help.

See, this is where laymen like me get confused as the spec says ...

Heat Output = 13.4-22.4 KW (76000 btu's)

That says 22.4kW to me but then doesn't mean the same I suppose.

I did twig the model no. but wasn't sure ...

So more than adequate then ... ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back