Boiler wall flue advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having problems with our gas powered boiler. I know it's old but we are on the breadline as are most of us and replacement is a luxury!
My wife discovered that the socket circuit kept tripping and by searching I found that the boiler was causing it. On closer inspection there was water in the (removable) base and this has been caused by rain being blown in through the flue from outside!

My question is, knowing the hazards with CO, can I attached a wall mounted deflector/shield over the flue to stop the rain coming in?

The boiler is attached to same wall as flue so distance is the thickness of wall plus about 5 inches outside. Flue is a round tapered metal shape with flutes - about 3 inches diameter.

I've found many roof types online but can't see any for walls unless the cooker hood types are ok.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Not allowed!

See why water is coming in.

Angle of flue???

Photo?

Why did you not mention the make and model of boiler?

Tony

Thanks for replying!

Why is it not allowed since the flue can still vent out - just want to shade it from rain. Vertical flues get covers...
We moved in to this house about 8 years back and this Spring the wife chopped back a huge bush in front of the flue - since then rain blows in when in the 'wrong' direction! I assume the bush sheltered the adverse weather...

Flue is roughly horizontal.

I'll try and take some pics and add to album asap.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying!

Why is it not allowed since the flue can still vent out - just want to shade it from rain. Vertical flues get covers...

Thanks again.

Because to ensure safety, the gas regulations prevent anyone from doing their own modifications to gas appliances.

The manufacturers design and test the appliance and accept legal liability for its safety and so it cannot be modified.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back