Flue confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just moved into a new place, boiler is a Apollo Fanfare 15/30 which, whilst old, is working fine.

We had a gas safety certificate issued which confirms the flue is room sealed ("Flue type: R/S") and that the appliance is safe to use.

Whilst putting some stuff in the loft just now I noticed that the flue from the boiler appears to have a mesh opening where the diameter of the flue changes. Is this letting combustion gases into the attic space? Or am I missing something?

To be clear, I can see straight through the upper (larger diameter) part of the mesh.

The lower half has a solid internal wall.

qY72M61l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Presumably you are renting the property?

Did the engineer even look into the loft?

Tony

We purchased the property and had the sellers have a gas safety certificate issues as part of the sale. Hence I don't know whether the engineer looked in the loft I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reading, explains a lot. So this setup is safe as long as it is installed and maintained correctly?

Would this be legal for a new installation?

Sponsored Links
When was the roof built as post 1985(I think) they had to be vented and were classed as outside spaces for the provision of combustion air for a vertex flue.

The house was built 1985, though I think final fitting/finishing was around 1987.

The soffits all the way around the roof have circular vents every 500mm or so, so there's good air supply into the attic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back