Flue proximity to window.

how would replacing everything work unless he was saying move boiler is the room the boiler is in single storey or are there rooms above
seems strange he should suggest changing everything did you check his gas safe registration all sounds wrong to me maybe you should name him
peekay53

Sponsored Links
The MIs state that 300mm from an openable window is fine, and the terminal should be no closer than 150mm to an opening into the building fabric. This can be reduced (for a non openable window) to 25mm. Perhaps I could have been clearer, but the MIs are quite clear. I get where you're coming from peekay, but if the flue complies with the MIs, then surely theres no prob? Edit : Ive just read that it is within 300mm and therefor is, of course at risk :oops: Long day!

The manufacturer very clearly states a MINIMUM of 300 mm and that flue is obviously well within that figure.

The hole for the flue has probably compromised the safety of the window lintel.

It seems to be a bungalow and a vertical flue is the obvious solution to the problem. About £130 to buy and about five hours work.

Tony

boabcelt we all have days like that mate was not so much concerned with your comment as op who suggested plume management kit agile as usual the voice of reason vertical flue problem solved as long as we comply with flues in voids regs

peekay53

Sponsored Links
Well it could be argued that the gas operative decision is incorrect.

But no one has spotted the mistake made by the gas operative with reference to the manufactures instructions.

There is another clause in the manufactures instructions which has not been
adhered to.

If this was my property i would employ a window fitting company to permanently seal closed the opening window and leave paperwork stating how it was done.ie seal external opening window with silicone,remove handles and secure opening window to frame with security screws.

good photos though.

I am seeing my business partner later today he is also a solicitor and i will run this post past him.

These flue clearances are all to British Standards, as you RGIs should know. It is unlikely that any manufacturer will approve less clearance.

OK ran this past my very legal guy and this his reply.
Well as per the manufactures literature/instructions and actual photographs it appears the flue is correct,no other guidance literature has been mentioned and no testing has been mentioned to prove the flue termination is such an issue that the boiler needs to be replaced.
If carbon monoxide was possible to re enter the premises then further safety work must have been carried out on the spot ie make safe.
If the wording of the manufactures literature/instructions is the only evidence
available then the installation is acceptable,certain wording is used and has to be adhered to.
The words directly below and horizontally from an opening are the points i found of interest re manufactures literature/installations flue terminal location fig4 suggests my first paragraph will stand up in a court 100%.

This is not my opinion as i am a humble retired person but he has got me out of a load of carp over the years :)

sunnie can you clarify why in your opinion the rgi was incorrect to do what he did and also what was missed in MIs you are obviously aquainted with the afore mentioned MIs so enlighten us as for your suggestion it is correct but over the top the removal of the handle is enough to stop window being opened lokk forward to your reply
peekay53

sunnie are you for real you have read maverick jesus words which said
the flue should be 300 mm from opening window and you are obviously a competant person by the advice you are handing out reading MIs does not make you and your "lawyer/solicitor" experts except in handing out duff info stick to the law and leave gas fitting to experts who have trained to do this work
peekay53

Building regs you can't drill flue hole (4in ) in wall within 300 mill of window opening top bottom or sides

johnmward02 are you sure because if you are not sunnie and his ambulance chaser will be on your case as you can see from the above he is an expert on just about everything so please check your facts dont want you to end up in court facing the death sentence for being wrong

peekay53

What a load of drama over a flue position.

Its not fitted to MIs or british standards. Thats it. NCS

Guidance is clear in industry unsafe situations as to how to classify this termination.

I think some of you are confusing different aspects!

A structural engineer would not want a 130 mm hole within 300 of a window opening for fear of compromising the safety of the opening.

A boiler engineer would not want a flue within 300 mm incase flue gases got in through a window.

Regardless of regulations its not permitted to install any flue if there is a risk of flue gases getting into the building!

Thats a very odd lawer who cannot interpret a simple manufacturer's instructions.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back