Renewing a flue on old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could anyone help me regarding an old Glow-worm Ultimate open flue gas boiler.

The boiler which is in extremely good condition (serviced every year from new and re-dosed with inhibitors every 3) has been condemned by B.G because the Uralite flue has failed the flue flow test and leaking out of cracks in the pipe.

The boiler is in the kitchen of a bungalow and the flue runs straight up through the loft space and terminates on a ridge tile.

B.G have said that they can no longer get the flue and the whole boiler will need to be replaced

The flue spigot is 115mm to accommodate 4" flue pipe. Looking on-line i have found that you can get 4'' twin-walled flue.

Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

Sponsored Links
I don't see any reason why not but normally the manufacturer would be asked by the Gas reg engineer who is going to do the replacement work.

But be aware your boiler is old and well overdue for replacement.

Tony

Twin wall is perfectly acceptable but you may struggle to get a ridge tile adaptor so it maybe a case of having to take it out through the tiles but your prob looking at several hundred quid which would be better spent on a new boiler to be honest but if you want it done its a straight forward job for an experienced guy who thinks nothing of doing open flues newcomers to the trade tend to sh#te themselves at the mention of open flue

Thanks Tony
Selkirkchimneys.co.uk do a compatible system (Insta-lock Gas Vent)
Just got an email back from Glow-worm and they have given the green light

Sponsored Links
Twin wall open flue is still readilly available but at obscene prices usually, just make sure you get a sold quote and not an esitmate from whoevers doing the work, and remember the next time the boiler breaks down its self it may well not be repairable, and all that new flue will be wasted as it wont be any use to a new boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back