Rain down the flue - Glow worm Ultracom Sxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a similar vein to //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146280

I have the above boiler (about 18 moths old) and during heavy rain have had rainwater dripping through the bolier.

Authorized installers and Glow worm seem to have no suggestions.

Watching the rain (when I have nothing better to do !) it appears to be running down the vertical plume pipe (correctly installed) and drips into the flue duct (the outer skin) and then obviously runs down the flue into the boiler, then out and through my ceiling !

Having checked the flue installation criteria everything is as it should be - the flue has a 4-5 degree continuous fall back to the boiler and the terminal is correctly located (with the additional plume kit attached). Having gone to a number of bloggs I understand that the boiler is not designed to allow for more than a few drops of rain getting into the outer skin of the flue.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can improve the situation ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you saying the outer flue pipe has a fall back to the boiler? thats not correct for this boiler IIRC.

the inner tube is already angled inside the outer tube to allow condensate to run back. the outer tube should be as close to horizontal as possible. there is a clear pic of this in the MI's.

Thanks for your imput nickso but, according to Glow Worms installation manual;
"... the flue system must be designed to have a continuous falll to the boiler of at least 2.5 degrees ...."

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
then i must be thinking of the 330/+. surprised they dont use the same flue being of the same era. dont want to second guess you but ill have to check tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back