Ferrolli or Glow Worm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for a new boiler in a rental house.
I've been looking at the following:
Ferrolli Optimax 31(icl flue & clock) for £650
Glow Worm Flexicom (icl flue & clock) £736.10
Glow Worm Ultracom 30CXi (icl flue & clock) for £773.15

The Ferrolli has a 5 year guarantee as well.

Does anyone have any views. I can't afford the extra for a Worcester or Vaillant unless I can get for a similar price.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Worcester junior could be had for similar money, but the ultracom would get my vote.

no brainer. Ultracom is miles better than the other 2. A Glowworm installer can provide you with an extended warranty up to 5yrs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Was going to go with the Ferrolli due to cost and warantee but not so sure now.
I've got someone who's happy to fit for £400 including all the usual flushing etc, and he fits Glow Worm so he did recommend them as well.

Whats the problem with the Ferrolli Optimax, 2 quotes I've had both wanted to fit the Ferrolli (£2400 and £2000, which is pricey for a £650 boiler take off, bolt on etc with a bit of pipe re-jiging), although they both did recommend the Worcester or Vaillant but then it starts to get too expensive.

£400 to fit inc mats etc? That'll be good then, no wonder a ferrolli is going in. You will need the waranty on the ferrolli for each of those 5 years if they honour it, which they wont as will blame installer

Whats the problem with the Ferrolli Optimax,

Every Ferrolli boiler to date has been a piece of junk. Additionally I've heard about people needing parts for relatively new models and struggling to get them inside several weeks. Manufacturers of cheap boilers who offer long warranties will generally do everything they can to get out of repairing the boiler.

£400 to fit inc mats etc? That'll be good then, no wonder a ferrolli is going in. You will need the waranty on the ferrolli for each of those 5 years if they honour it, which they wont as will blame installer
Obviously the £400 doesn't include the boiler, flue timer etc, only fittings. A neighbour works for a company fitting boilers and he's just keen to earn a little extra cash. He's the one suggesting the Glow Worm.
What you should be asking is why I have 2 quotes to fit a Ferrolli at 1700 and 2100 (before vat), when the boiler with flue and timer costs no more than 650. I know there are other expenses like inhibitor etc, but still 1k+ to flush system, unbolt old combi, bolt new one on, modify connecting pipes, flush system and then commision boiler (check gas flow rate and pressure) seems a bit expensive. I'm an engineer so have a better than some understanding of what has to be done.
I'm not wanting to start an argument on what value for money, just pointing out that one person wants to make a few quid on the side, a couple of others want to make a healthy profit for 2 days work.

Just to add on boiler front, I'm obviously getting the impression that not many people are too keen on Ferrolli. I spoke to a couple of plumbers merchants today and both guys said that they don't seem to have any disgruntled fitters fitting the Ferrolli's, with one saying the the new optimax is undeserving of Ferrolli's past reputation. Understandably they don't see all the service hassle, but they did say that no ones been bad mouthing them. The guy reckoned half the problem was Ferrolli trying to expand too fast and then not having the backup to deal with problems when they did arise. Just another point of view!

Pixxy
As your neighbour works for a firm, I doubt very much that he is allowed to fit any boilers on the side.If he is going to be doing your job you need to ensure that all the paperwork is filled in and that the boiler is notified through the correct channels.
Seen it all too often.
Person gets boiler fitted by guy that works for a firm during the day/week.
Boiler goes in.
Paperwork not filled in as it should be,or not notified.
Boiler goes wrong, they call manufacturer, manufacturer says we are not covering the warranty.

BTW go with the Ultracom.

Graham

Pixxy
As your neighbour works for a firm, I doubt very much that he is allowed to fit any boilers on the side.If he is going to be doing your job you need to ensure that all the paperwork is filled in and that the boiler is notified through the correct channels.
Seen it all too often.
Person gets boiler fitted by guy that works for a firm during the day/week.
Boiler goes in.
Paperwork not filled in as it should be,or not notified.
Boiler goes wrong, they call manufacturer, manufacturer says we are not covering the warranty.

BTW go with the Ultracom.

Graham
The paper work will be done, as it's a rental property he wouldn't commit until he was sure that a colleage would work with him and that the paperwork would be completed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back