Glow-worm upgrade??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Glow-worm 45-60B balanced flue boiler. Can I can put a new programmer/timer on it?
If so, what should I be looking for? digital, electro-mech??
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
As long as you know what you're doing,

You need to replace like for like i.e. if you are switching live, you need to replace it with something switching live

A digital one with independent daily programmes isn't so expensive

I'd like to put a digital programmer on it... just not sure which ones will work on my boiler as it is quite old.
When the hot water is switched on, there's 24v AC supplied to my gas valve from the controller by 2 orange wires.
When I switch the heating on, 230v AC is supplied to my CH pump via 3-core cable.
Will a digital programmer work? The original mechanical controller only allows you to put the heating on when hot water is on.... again, does this mean anything?
Cheers

nikster said:
I'd like to put a digital programmer on it... just not sure which ones will work on my boiler as it is quite old.
When the hot water is switched on, there's 24v AC supplied to my gas valve from the controller by 2 orange wires.
When I switch the heating on, 230v AC is supplied to my CH pump via 3-core cable.
Will a digital programmer work? The original mechanical controller only allows you to put the heating on when hot water is on.... again, does this mean anything?
Cheers

The programmer controls the boiler/system, not the gas valves directly

Look on the back of the programmer and see if there is an interconnection diagram on the timer

whhat make / model is the timer and what model is the boiler ?

Sponsored Links
The boiler is a Glow-Worm 45-60B Balanced Flue. From what I can tell it was made round abouts 1983. The programmer is built into the boilers outer casing and the boiler is floor mounted. The control panel does have a wiring diagram on the back if that's what you mean about interconnection diagram.

System parameters will have a factor on what you can do.

Gravity h/w?

Fully pumped with no interlock on h/w or c/h?

Really need more info to give advise.

David

nick - I think you have to get a clue or get someone in.

It's fairly simple to do, but it involves you making an effort
I get the impression that you need someone who has an idea what's required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back