Help with laminate under-floor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am hoping to lay a laminate floor in our lounge. The room is the coldest room is the house, and so I was thinking about under floor heating mats.

B&Q came & measured up, & gave me a quote for the job, but I have decided to get a known & trusted carpenter in to do the job.

B&Q however, are still cheaper on the actual laminate product.

It was only when I thought I would shop around on-line for the heating mats that I came across insulation? Most of the sites I have looked at have recommended, but, B&Q never suggested this?

We have a solid concrete floor.

I am also concerned that laying underlay, insulation, heating mats, plus the actual laminate will raise the floor considerably?

Can anyone advise:
1) Is insulation an absolute must have
2) Best place to purchase underfloor heating

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Insulation

Essential unless you are content to waste more than 50% heating the concrete and soil beneath.

Ideas of amount differ but in the range of 50-70 mm.

Do you know if there is insulation under the existing slab ?

Can't help with sourcing product.

You need to look at the heating capacity of the underfloor system and it's suggested maximum 'tog' rating for installed flooring above it. Then match the underfloor heating tog rating to the tog rating of the laminate AND add the tog rating of the underlay product you are looking at fitting it on, be sure you are not overloading the UFH.

Personally I would say that good quality fibreboard underlay would provide enough insulation sufficient enough to keep the floor at a comfortable temperature without the need for UFH, laminate is not a cold product. To be honest if you are investigating all the expense of underfloor heating, don't bother with cheap laminate as it will not do the installation justice, much better to look at quality product such as Quickstep or Pergo.

Out of interest, Pergo are in the process of bringing to market underfloor heating installed in it's underlays to make a process like this as simple as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back