Help with leak on my hot water tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone give me some advice?

I have storage heating so the hot water is heated with an immersion heater.

Recently a plastic pipe at the top of the tank has developed a small leak. How can I fix this? Is there any kind of putty or sealant on the market for this kind of thing?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Wil try and take a pic. It is where the union goes into the tank

Deffo need a pic. Us Sussex plumbers charge a fortune ;)

If leaking there its because water level is too high in the tank. Sort that out first!

To stop it leaking it needs tightening if it has the correct washers.

Tony

Can you clarify which tank you are talking about. From your description I assumed it was the hot water cylinder but some of the replies seem to be assuming it's the cold water storage tank.

Yep, that looks like the top of a combination cylinder.

The water level in the cold cistern (the bit the leaking pipe is connected to) is too high, so that needs rectifying first.

The float valve under the plastic top cover needs adjusting, cleaning or replacing if it isn't shutting off properly before the water level reaches the overflow.

The 'full' water level should be set a couple of inches below the overflow outlet so there's room for expansion when the hot cylinder underneath warms up.

New ballvalve and new overflow tank connector + a piece of pipe . £ 100 cash ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back