Help with leaking Jaguar combi-boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
H chaps.
Just bought my first house(terrible 1 bed terrace) and it has a Jaguar 24 KTVJ combi-boiler. Not used it yet because don't have much spare money for gas, but noticed this week that there is a small puddle under the unit...

I've taken the cover off and had a look inside and have seen the leak. I have done some research and it looks likes the "pressure" relief valve washer is shot and leaking.

Would really like some help in finding a replacement washer and some advice on changing it, not sure if I can take the inner cover off the front(held on with clips) or the side panel off without disturbing any seals ect. Looks like the valve is quite hard to get to/remove, but I am willing to have a go. Also not sure what is going to happen when the valve is removed, I assume the system will have to be drained beforehand as all the water will fall out with the prv removed?

Here are a couple of pictures:
Image1089_zps98015e92.jpg

The front silver cover and side cover, ok to remove?

Image1090_zps61851c86.jpg

Am I correct that this is the PRV?

Image1091_zpsf8d34e62.jpg

This is the washer I think I need, pretty sure its leaking from here as you can see. Just looks like a black rubber washer?

Thanks for any help, Ben

Sponsored Links
I cannot remember what the Jag uses but it will either be PTFE sealant on a thread or an "O" ring seal.

It would be normal to just replace the PRV with a new one as they are under £20.

Tony

I cannot remember what the Jag uses but it will either be PTFE sealant on a thread or an "O" ring seal.

It would be normal to just replace the PRV with a new one as they are under £20.

Tony

Hi Tony, it looks like a flat rubber washer to me, although it could be a flattened O ring. Its not a tapered thread. Not sure a new PRV will come with a seal?

I have seen a PRV for my boiler, but in the picture it is without the lower washer. I suppose the best way would be to attack it and take the washer or w.e out to be matched, but not ideal to leave it apart and leaking while looking for the replacement.

Been doing some more reading and this is what I think has to be done:
Drain the system from the bottom of a downstairs rad.
Remove PRV from unit
Close system(rads ect) and open the cold feed to the boiler and bleed the top of the boiler pump and rads to fill the system. Also think I need to add some inhibitor to the water through the top of a radiator.

Not sure if I need to run the pump somehow while filling the system??

Thanks again....

The "O" ring seals are about 12 mm below your joint.

I have never seen any PRV with a washer where you think you have one!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The "O" ring seals are about 12 mm below your joint.

I have never seen any PRV with a washer where you think you have one!

Tony

I am most probably wrong then, will attack it next Saturday and see whats there.

Is my method on draining the system correct Tony?

Looks like your auto air vent bottle is leaking too. Best to get a small wire brush and clean the crud off the whole area and watch where actual leak is coming from before you start attacking it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back