Help with lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone make sense of the wiring in the attached picture? I can't work out what the random wire there that's not going into a terminal block is? It is sleeved in black but then has red sleeving slid on over it? Any advice please? The wiring was for a fluorescent tube that I am replacing.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240401_122638.jpg
    20240401_122638.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Black (or blue) wire, marked with red (or brown) sleeve, usually indicates a 'switch wire'. The switched live.

The two reds and the two blacks are usually the loop in and out of the circuit

All the bare coppers should be the earth wires. You'll notice there is an amount of bare copper showing. It is better to sleeve then individually in G&Y and then fix them to a terminal to earth the lamp body.

So the lamp itself is usually supplied N from the two blacks, and SL from the single black sleeved red.

It will be neater if you use a length of terminal strip that includes screw holes to fix it in place.

31NpWpEu2NL._SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

The "Twin Screw" connectors shown in the photo of Post #1 are "interesting" (to me) in that
they resemble the "Twin Screw" connectors used in Australia - for Earth connections (ONLY)
and
I have not noticed such connectors to be used in the UK previously.

Such "open-ended' connectors are NOT used in Australia for Current Carrying conductors, to avoid contact with the bare wire of "Live" conductors.
For this purpose "Single-Screw" - "closed end" connectors are used.

Examples of the Set-Screw connectors normally used in Australia
(since the 1930s and until the advent of Wago 222 and 221 connectors)
are shown in

Sponsored Links
I have not noticed such connectors to be used in the UK previously.
Then you can't have observed much UK wiring. Terminal block is everywhere. It *should* be in a suitable enclosure but sadly that is not always the case.

Such "open-ended' connectors are NOT used in Australia for Current Carrying conductors, to avoid contact with the bare wire of "Live" conductors.
For this purpose "Single-Screw" - "closed end" connectors are used.
Something you learn when observing difference country's electrical practices is that each country obsesses over some things while not bothering nearly so much about others.

I wrote "I have not noticed such connectors to be used in the UK previously."
and you replied
Then you can't have observed much UK wiring. Terminal block is everywhere. It *should* be in a suitable enclosure but sadly that is not always the case.
I am sorry that I mis-interpreted the picture of two (different sized) "cut-off" Terminal Blocks as being similar to Australian BP Connectors.
(The smaller one was (obviously) cut-off from the END of a BLOCK. (Hence no "ridges" on the top side.
The cut-off ridges on the larger one are now obvious to me.)

Mea Culpa.

Something you learn when observing difference country's electrical practices is that each country obsesses over some things while not bothering nearly so much about others.
You are correct in that "observation".
It is not until a sufficient number of "local inhabitants" have been killed or injured do the "regulators" suddenly "discover" that there is a problem which may be ameliorated by certain "precautions".

In the UK it seems that a CU must now not be made of "combustible" material.
Also, Plastic "Plugs" must not be used for securing overhead cables, because such "Plugs" have melted in a fire and the Fire Brigade personnel became entangled in the cables which fell on them.
(Not yet so in Australia - or elsewhere.)

In Australia, because three young inexperienced persons were electrocuted when they nailed metallic (reflective) insulation in a roof space and penetrated "Live" Lighting Circuit Cables, it is now REQUIRED that ALL new, or amended Circuits, are "Protected" by RCD/RCBO from the CU onwards.
Power, Ligating, Ovens, Cook Tops Air Conditioners et al.
See https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...ation-deaths/258fb15526ba6175250fb630d8967259
(Not yet so in most other countries.)

When a fire killed 11 people in Queensland, largely because of the Coroners Report into this, Queensland now has (probably) the highest standard for Smoke Alarms in the world"
https://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__dat...2248/cif-slacks-creek-house-fire-20141128.pdf
(See https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/smokealarms )
(Not yet so in other Australian States, and elsewhere.)

We could go on.
The UK still allows bare Earth Wires to be manufactured in the cables used, although most of the rest of the world
(apart from North America)
requires that such "Earth" wires be insulated (Green/Yellow), to the same standard as the Current Carrying conductors.
(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring )

At least, the UK requires that these bare Earth wires be insulated (designated?) with Green/Yellow sleeving - quite unlike North America.

You are correct in that "observation".
It is not until a sufficient number of "local inhabitants" have been killed or injured do the "regulators" suddenly "discover" that there is a problem which may be ameliorated by certain "precautions".
Or when a lobbyist with products to sell gets the ear of a regulator or standards body.

In the UK it seems that a CU must now not be made of "combustible" material.
The specific regulation only applies to consumer units in domestic premesis. And it gives placing the whole unit in a non-combustible cabinet as an alternative.

However, in practice manufacturers have responded by eliminating CUs with plastic enclosures from their product ranges, other than maybe some models designed for outdoor use.

Also, Plastic "Plugs" must not be used for securing overhead cables, because such "Plugs" have melted in a fire and the Fire Brigade personnel became entangled in the cables which fell on them.
(Not yet so in Australia - or elsewhere.)
As I understand it the issue that prompted the rule wasn't so much with plastic wall-plugs as with plastic cable clips and plastic trunking. Both of which can easilly melt and lose their structural integrity during a fire, long before the surrounding building does.

The actual regulation simply says that the wiring system must be designed to avoid premature collapse. It's left up to a matter of interpretation what exactly is "premature". In practice though, most will use metal brackets and if mounting to masonary will use screws that are designed to be driven directly into the masonary.

In Australia, because three young inexperienced persons were electrocuted when they nailed metallic (reflective) insulation in a roof space and penetrated "Live" Lighting Circuit Cables, it is now REQUIRED that ALL new, or amended Circuits, are "Protected" by RCD/RCBO from the CU onwards.
Power, Ligating, Ovens, Cook Tops Air Conditioners et al.
It seems your regulators have taken a different approach to ours, but the overall effect is quite similar.

Your regulations seem to require RCDs for all final circuits in domestic premesis and smaller final circuits in other premesis, but not for distribution circuits.

The latest version of BS7671 on the other hand require them for sockets rated at 32A or less, domestic lighting and also for most concealed cables. There are ways of installing wiring such that it does not require RCD protection but they are very much the exception not the rule. So in practice on a modern UK installation most circuits will require RCD protection for one reason or another.

You guys do seem to be pushing harder than we are on getting them fitted retrospectively though.

The UK still allows bare Earth Wires to be manufactured in the cables used,
And afaict Australia still allows sockets to be installed with no back-boxes ;)

Last edited:
And afaict Australia still allows sockets to be installed with no back-boxes ;)
Nor for "Light Switches" and no "boxes" behind "Ceiling Lights".
The UK does not seem to require "boxes" behind "Ceiling Lights" either - with a "Ceiling Rose" instead (or the "fitting" serving as a "box").
However, ceiling boxes are a requirement in North America.

Personally, while "boxes" are necessary in a "masonry" wall (and these are used in Australia),
I cannot see what "benefit" any Pattress Box confers in a "stud" wall.
Please explain!
(See https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-standard-wall-junction-box-with-sliding-nuts_p7053636 )
Mounting Brackets are all that is required here for new or old work on a "Stud" wall.
https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/electrical/accessories/plaster-brackets/
The previous references shows that "fire-rated" wall boxes can be obtained - if required.) )

(In North America there are requirements concerning the maximum number of "conductors" in any sized box - dimensioned in Cubic Inches - and it is sometimes necessary to install a larger "box" if one adds another Cable. !)

Another item:-
In Australia, no one would consider using "solid" conductors in TPS for anything over 1 mm².
(From 1.5 mm², only stranded conductors are now used, although solid conductors up to 2.5 mm² may still be available on "special order"..)

In the UK you seem to use "solid" conductors up to 2.5 mm².
and in North America up to 12 AWG (3.31 mm².)

Since Installation of TPS using "stranded" conductors is so much easier than when using solid conductor
(and the cost differential is "insignificant"),
I do wonder why you persist.
(The North Americans persist because the exposed side connectors on their [cheaper] switches and socket-outlets require a single solid conductor,
bent into the form of a "crook,
although their better product now use "Clamping-Plates.)

Also, two core (Red and White) 1 mm² and 1.5 mm² TPS cable is available here for "Switch Loops", so we do not need to "sleeve" the (Black) Neutral, to indicate a "Switched Line".
(There is no "Earth" Conductor in these cables, since the switches are all "double Insulated" plastic, with no accessible [visible] conductive metal.)

While the "European" colour codes of Brown (Line) and Blue (Neutral) are "allowed"
(as well as Red and Black) in Australia/New Zealand for TPS conductors,
none have been made in Australia - nor has any been imported.
However, flexible cables now have only Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow insulated conductors.

In the 1930s, when Australia "adopted" an obsolete US design for the Socket-Outlets,
it also adopted the dimensions of the US "wall plate" and the screws used to affix it.
These (US) screws are defined as 6-32 (thread diameter of #6 and 32 threads per inch.)
(#6 (gauge) is 0.138"or 9/64" or 3.51mm)
(A #6 US screw is not the same diameter as a AWG #6 wire, which is 0.1620")

These "odd sized" (US) screws were used in Australia only for fixing electrical Outlets/Switch Plates to wall mounting hardware.
When Australia "metricated" (in the 1970s),
it kept using these "odd sized" screws for the switch-plates etc.
but (no doubt) re-defined them in "metric terms".
Hence, the screws supplied with all new electrical items still fit the old mountings.

However, (correct me if I am wrong) I understand that UK switch-plates were originally affixed using BA screws
but,
after "metrication",
metric screws were used, resulting in "incompatibility" between new and old.

(In addition, [correct me if I am wrong]
the use of a switch in association with a "socket-outlet" in the UK is that it is just "usually provided",
whereas in Australia is "mandatory".)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112
https://www.cool386.com/plug/plug.html

Last edited:
However, (correct me if I am wrong) I understand that UK switch-plates were originally affixed using BA screws
but,
after "metrication",

That is correct!

Both switch and socket plates became metric fixings, as did all the machine screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back