Changing a ceiling light :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please !!!! lol
I am removing a normal light bulb ceiling fitting and replacing with fluch mounted light fitting (from Homebase)

On removing the existing celing rose - it was a 'loop' type.

There are two live (red) wires / two earth wires / two neutral wires (black)
One of these is a 'switched neutral' (i think thats the term) as it has a red sleeve. (though it slid right off on removal of old rose and so i am unsure which wire it is now !! lol

The new fitting has a three terminal box - marked Neutral / Earth / and Live. (The Earth has a fixed point metal piece going into the terminal block) The light has its wires fixed into the terminal block as marked N & L

Can anyone please tell me how to wire this up correctly.
Thank you very much.

A very exasperated Cornishman !!

Sponsored Links
You need to wire the two 'loop' wires into a seperate terminal. These are the two red ones. Wire them in together. Wire the earths in to the earth terminal on the light. You will be left with two blacks. The one which had the sleeve on is the 'switched live'. The other is neutral. Some light fittings require that you get these the right way round (you need to anyway tbh), so you need a meter or a test lamp to determine which is which. Do you have anything? You can check continuity between the red cables (at the loop teminal) and each black, with the switch 'on'. The reading with open circuit is the neutral. Check with the switch in the opposite direction. Or you can test with a test lamp (power on this time) between each black and the loop terminal.

SparkySpike

thank you so much for that
I have done as you said - works perfectly !!!
I know it was a simple thing for those in the trade - but as a pencil pusher it was like doing a rubiks cube !!!

thanks again mate

Steve :)

Sponsored Links
Lol - very good, though Cornish last week officially declared an extinct language - not unlike my electrical skills !! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back