Help with Moving rad pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,
My dad is helping me renovate my bathroom. I have bought a chrome towel radiator and ideally want the pipes coming out the wall,The pipes have to be moved anyway,they come through the chipboard floor and need to be moved about 18 inches anyway.
Will it be an easy job? Is it a case of chanelling out the blockwork and plaster wall for the 15ml chromed copper pipe, say about a foot high from the floorboards? Could i use push fittings on the pipe to use for the bends?(dont really want to solder any pipes)
The walls are going to be tiled over after.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. BTW my Dad has very good diy skills, but i dont want to put too much hassle on him if it is too difficult. If i keep the pipes coming up through the floor, then i think it will spoil the effect of the towel rad.
Ta Very Much
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do dont put push fit (or compression joints) inside a wall, they are almost certain to leak (and it againts regs) . Get your blow torch out and dont forget the flux.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, i thought there might be a problem with the joints.
Are the blowtorches dear to buy, or would it be a lot easier just to have the pipes coming up through the wooden floor (Like a radiator).

I dont want my Dad t have too much work to do...he will get the right hump with me ii think..

Cheers
Lorraine

It will be a lot easier from under a wooden floor and even possible to use push fit if you leave an access point to get at them later, you can even use crome coated copper to bring the pipes from under the floor to the rad valves,the tappings on towel rads normally face staight down and you will need straight rad valves.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Yes thats what i think....saw that chromed pipe in B&Q today...9.99 for 2 meters! Will have a look at my local diy store.
By rad valves, do you mean the isolating thingies...with just the little chrome screw in to turn water on or off? I dont think i can use the proper towel rad valves because i think they will stick out to far in front of the rail if the pipe comes from the floor. Or would the difference be the same with the place of the valve if it were to come out of the wall?

Sorry for all the questions, but i like a bit of a post mortem when i plan anything!

Ta
Lorraine

???? lost me there :confused: Right when you hang the rad it sits about 3 or 4 inches away from the wall ,and has holes at the bottom to take the rad valves (off/on things) which if you get the right ones will point staight down to the floor, and straight on to the pipes if you get it right. one thing i should mention is that this radiator will need a earth strap, better safe than sorry

Hi,
Thanks for that. What i mean about the valves is.....the on /off tap would stick out(the handle thingys) if i use the proper valves...but if i use just normal chrome iso valves then nothing will stick out...does that make any sense?

As to the earthing strap...is this required as it is replacing an existing radiator running off my central heating...which i take it has all the necessary earthing in the airing cupboard.
Ta
Lorraine

the handles will face where ever you place them straight through valves will spin round on the pipe before you tighten them so if space is a problem make the face inwards

Hi,
Thanks for your advice greatly appreciated.
It does help to ask before doing something that youre not quite sure of.
Thanks again,
Lorraine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back