help with my bedroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello pips
i have been trying to paint my wall for ages and after stripping the wall paper and the lining paper.. i still cannot get a smooth finish and keeps on being patchy and lumpy from past paint jobs or something. i need your help as i have sanded and sanded and im sick of sanding now. and don't have a clue how to plaster it and don't have the £££ at the mo.

will try to attach pics...
thanks as all advise is most welcome.

don't know how to put pics up here but they are in my album if you can access them.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
you have to remove every last trace of wallpaper adhesive or you'll get all sorts of problems. Did you do that?

If youve painted over paste residue youll have a bit of a job trying to remove it now..Best to line the walls & re-paint

Sponsored Links
If youve painted over paste residue youll have a bit of a job trying to remove it now..Best to line the walls & re-paint

i am so useless at DIY. tried re lining but cannot get the hang of it ! i think its my only hope or save up and get a plasterer

No no , You wont need a plasterer, linings easy & cheap . Its not as difficult as wallpaper as you have no pattern to match (obviously ;) ) and the joints can be skimmed/rubbed down when dry..A good lining job will look like new plaster after painting !
A plasterer will charge a stack of £££'s !

No no , You wont need a plasterer, linings easy & cheap . Its not as difficult as wallpaper as you have no pattern to match (obviously ;) ) and the joints can be skimmed/rubbed down when dry..A good lining job will look like new plaster after painting !
A plasterer will charge a stack of £££'s !

i have tried but just cannot get the paper to stick straight ! any tips? shall i use the thinest paper?

Dont use thin paper, anything less than 1000 is a waste of effort - use 1200 to 1400 (1700 for really rough) ,..paste with solvite - mixed with less water than the box advises!( approx 1/2 bucket for 1 sachet) soak for 10 mins, apply with a caulking-board (not a sponge or brush) ..Any rips or tears can be rubbed down or skimmed when dry.
A 10' x 10' room takes me a morning (£50) ;)

im going to try and do this tis weekend but my last question is:

will the paper cover small bumps and uneveness on the wall or will it also show after the lining!
i hope the pictures can give you guys a clear picture of the status of the wall

my lst resort will be giving LJW61 a call !!!!!!

i had go at lining and it turned out semi ok for a first timer ! there are a few issues which i need some help plz

1. as it wasnt cut properly the top is not very straight and there are gaps from the ciling to the top of the lining paper? can a filler sort this out?

2. bubles which did not go away. whats the best wy to get rid of them ??

thanx in advance

You can use filler on lining paper without problems.
As for the bubbles either inject them usin a paste-filled syringe or cut a slit, brush some paste in , roll it down & fill the slit when dry(if it still shows)

thnax i will try tonight. also can i use left over glue from 5/6 days ago ?

i try to put up a few sheets every weekend but i keep having left over glue. it satys in the bucket for a week. can i reuse this gule as it does not seem to dry out

Im still using paste I mixed-up in bulk 2 months ago..Just stir it once in a while & store in a cool place prefrably with a lid on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back