Patchy layers of paint and plaster..

30 Nov 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have just finished stripping the paper of the walls in our new old house, and although the paper was easy to get off, it has also taken off most of the layers of paint underneath leaving me with patchy uneven surface. Other than filling, sanding or re-skimming does anyone now of a product that will remove the remaining layer of paint an leave me a smooth plastered surface?
Sponsored Links
Ok I now realise that my question is similar to the one posted previously by Heatherw. But my problem is on a far larger scale in that the surface of my walls are 50% paint and 50% bare plaster. Filling is out of the question cos it's to large and area, sanding is ineffective, hardwork and too messy and skimming is costly and time consuming. There must be a product out there that will do this job?
Yeh. It looks like the plaster work had a couple of coats of emulsion before it was papered. A lot of the remaining emulsion is flaky but some parts are welded to the plaster.
Sponsored Links
polycell make a product which comes in a tub(about 15 quid). its applied with a large bladed spreader and will feather in the edges of the paint quite well. its easy to sand down after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local