Removing thick gloss from plasterboard and repairing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Long-time lurker, I have searched around and found a lot of great advice to help with my project but I need some help with something else which doesnt seem covered and to double check ive gleened the correct info. I'll get to the point..

Have stripped wallpaper from skimmed plasterboard stud walls. Underneath we have:

1. A layer of patchy peeled emulsion exposing a grey (dusty) layer of skim.

2. The expected deeper craters / damage to the skimmed layer.

3. Very thick gloss/non-water soluble paint where a previous owner decided to graffiti their names and generally splodge it around 2mm proud of the wall surface in places.

For 1 and 2, I plan to: clean, prime, easi-fill craters, sand, size the whole wall and then paper. Please correct me if easi-fill will not be right for smoothing out the very shallow craters where the paint has peeled.

My real query is what is best to remove this thick paint and achieve a smooth surface I can paper onto?

Sand it down?
Scrape it away (along with the emulsion) so it exposes the skim and ends up like point 1 to prime, easy-fill, sand and size?

Sorry if I have answered my own questions but after a day of furious searching my head is spinning.

Cheers for any help.
Paul.

Sponsored Links
A 1/4 sheet sander is great if you've a few jobs to do. I don't care for Easi-fill. Wickes do a lightweight filler that is much better. (feels like an empty bucket)

A 1/4 sheet sander is great if you've a few jobs to do. I don't care for Easi-fill. Wickes do a lightweight filler that is much better. (feels like an empty bucket)

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean to sand down the proud gloss along with the rest of the wall? Or should I scrape the worst off first and fill any damage caused then sand?
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back