Help with new spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I'm trying to fit a new spotlight in my kitchen and have removed the existing light and rose. Picture 1 and 2 show the old rose and connector and pic 3 shows the wiring I'm left with.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

I was a little surprised to see so many wires but I'm guessing that its got something to do with a set of spots that are wired into the kitchen units operated form the same switch that we no longer use ?

Pic 4 shows the new rose and Pic 5 and 6 show the instruction leaflet that came with the new spotlights.

I'm a bit confused about which wires I need to wire into the new block and whether I need to wire them all in ? If so should I be bunching them all together to go into the same block ? ie do all 5 red switched lives wires get screwed into the new block, and the same with the 3 black neutrals ive got ? It seems like a lot of wire to power one set of spotlights ?

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Any help much appreciated...

Bulla

Sponsored Links
I do not envy your chances of connecting alll those cables into that spotlight. First make sure the circuit is compleatly dead by turning off the consumer unit and prove it is dead.

First check the wiring at the switch for that light, if I'm right you will have just two red wires in there. Everthing else I say is based on that assumption.

Connect all 4 earth wires into the terminal green/yellow.
Connect all 3 blacks into the terminal marked blue/N.
Take one red from the cable with two reds and the other 3 reds and connect them into the terminal marked loop.
The 1 remaining red goes into the terminal marked brown/L.

Hi Holmslaw,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've taken a pic of the switch and your right it does have two red wires wired up to it, the other two are for the spots we no longer use.

Shall I try and twist the cable together before I get it into the terminals or try it one by one ? I must admit I'm not sure how they are all going to fit.

Thanks

Bulla[/img]

Sponsored Links
In future ask the question before taking off the wires :rolleyes: I have sometimes been called in to sort out jobs like this and they are a nightmare when you don't know which wires went to which terminal. A sparky would mark up the wires for loop, switch etc before disconnecting them.

In future ask the question before taking off the wires :rolleyes: I have sometimes been called in to sort out jobs like this and they are a nightmare when you don't know which wires went to which terminal. A sparky would mark up the wires for loop, switch etc before disconnecting them.

Yeah I guess I should have although I thought that taking the pics would ensure they could be put back if need be ?

No, do not twist them together just slide them in and do up the screws, and give each one a tug to make sure it is secure. The red on its own should be stipped for 20mm ish and doubled back on itself.

Well after 20 mins of wrestling with each wire I finally got them all in the terminal but when trying to push the rose back up to fix it in place the wires bent back and popped back out of the block ! Would it not be possible to wire the existing wires into a new block with one wire coming out of it so I only had one to screw into the rose ?

Bulla

This time I took all the wires out, bent them into groups which helped and got myself a decent flathead. Managed to get all the wires in and screw the block up tight. See pics below.

Bad news is however, when turning the power back on and flicking the switch, no light :(

Bulla

Done it ! :D

Schoolboy error ! When I'd rewired it the second time I'd swapped the reds round so I wasnt using the correct red wire for the Brown (L).

Thanks for all your help !

Bulla

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back