Novice Qu on Ceiling Rose/New light fitment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 17489 View media item 17490Hello,
I'm wanting to fit a new kitchen light. My question is on the attached pics.
The current rose wiring has for the switch return 2 black wires going in and 1 brown coming out (fig 3).
The new wiring set up (fig 4) for the switch return only has 1 wire going in.

Which of the 2 wires am i to use or should they be put in the block together?

Any info appreciated.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
two blacks into neutral loop
The three reds in live loop as they currently are.
The other red in switch return. I'd mark this red up before you disconnect the cables, so you can identify it from the other reds when connecting new light.
earth to earth

earth to earth
ashes to ashes
dust to dust
Mutley_laughing.gif

Sponsored Links
The switch drop cable is red/red.

It does not need to be marked so that the switch cable can be identified, as it is the only red/red cable at the rose.

Yeah, but it's still best to keep the live and switched live the right way around, and marking the switched live is the easiest way to do it.

I think the only concern would be if someone had borrowed a live from the switch. Possible if 2 gang.

It wouldn't make the switch operate upside down, the only issue is if, as andy says, the perm live is looped to another on the back of the switch.
Not a big issue tho, just means swopping 2 wires over if it doesn't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back