changing old ceiling rose to spotlights...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Apologies for stupid question, but I am changing an old ceiling rose with red/black wires to a new spotlight which only has +/- and earth.

My wiring is currently as fig 2 diagram, but with reds in 3, 4,5, and a black in 2, which iguess is the return live from my switch.

I guess the 3 reds all go together into thee new + fixing, the earthers are obvious, and the other two blacks likewise, but thee 'black positive' return from thee switch - should this go here as well, or with the red positives?

Sorry for trivial question, many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a fourth connector in the fitting. The ceiling rose has 4, you need to copy that.

LIVE and NEUTRAL . NOT Positive and Negative as it is AC voltage.

In the rose

Switched LIVE
Loop LIVE
Loop NEUTRAL
Earth

In the fitting you have only

Switched LIVE (incorrectly labelled L instead of SL )
Loop Neutral
Earth

So you need to add a fourth terminal for the Loop LIVE

Normal you would have all red cores in the live loop. The fitting you have purchased does not offer a spare for a live loop, so you need to manufacture this with a terminal connector block.
Then the black that is in position 2 (ideally this should be sleeved or marked as the switch live) Would go the the Live side of the light.
The black cables at positions 6,7 go to the neutral side of lights.
This fitting requires to be earthed, so all the earth/CPC at position 9, go to the earth terminal on you new light.
And as precaution before you do this, I would recommend that the path to earth is proved to be continuous, as you are installing a metallic fixture.

Sponsored Links
Which is correct. Your figure 2 is wrong.
Figure two is electrically correct.

The only improvement would be to ex-change the colours in the switch cable making Red the permanent Live ( loop terminal ) and to put red sleeves on the Black wire as it then the switched Live.

LIVE and NEUTRAL . NOT Positive and Negative as it is AC voltage.
Strangely, the diagram he posted talks about live and neutral, the new light is clearly marked 'L' & 'N', and yet he persistently uses the terms positive and negative.... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back