Help with old back boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a Myson housewarmer elegant 2 back boiler. I've got no central heating or hot water, but gas heater at the front works fine. We don't know how to check if the pilot light is on or not. We can't see any kind of little window. All there is is a grey knob with Off, 1 to 6 number on it, we can't see an ignition button for the boiler at all. The only ignition knob is on top of the gas heater and only seems to light up the heater. Any help please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I suggest calling a boiler man, BBUs are not DIY friendly.

i'm fairly certain that back boiler unit is electronic and works through a pcb. So no pilot to light but needs attention

On the instructions, it says how to ignite the pilot light. to Switch on electronically, it says turn the knob to number 5 and it should to it by itself, but it does not. Otherwise it says to turn that knob and press the ignition button but can't find it.

Sponsored Links
The user controls are on the right hand side, there is a vertical slider and a switch.

Make sure the timer control is 'on' - check the room stat is on call - set the slider to hi and the switch (for the boiler) to 'on'.

A small LED on the user controls will show green after the auto ignite pilot has proven or will show red on lock-out.

I don't know how to put a photo in here, but I can't see anything but that grey knob.[/img]

It really looks old and ancient. Can someone tell me how to add a picture?
Thanks, :(

Definitely original Myson Housewarmer, before Potterton etc' - there was a choice of several fires to match the BBU.

The shots are very small (200 x 150 pixels) can you get a closer view, if you post a 'thumb-nail' code it should open up to full view when mouse clicked.

800 x 600 pixels would be a good minimum start point? - and maybe shine some extra light below.

You can use 'edit' to alter/change/remove images.

At this point cathabd, for safety and peace of mind, it would be best as was mentioned earlier by twgas, to call in a qualified RGI and have the boiler and all its associated controls and equipment, checked out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back