Concord WRS Boiler has gone out.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my ever trusted boiler CONCORD WRS 255A has gone out and won't relight.
I can get the pilot light to light up but when I let go of the gas valve control knob after lighting it with the ignition button it goes out... can any one help? I really can't afford a new boiler so I'm hoping that there is a simple solution...thanks..

Sponsored Links
thanks Gasman,,, would you know if these parts are likely to still be available (boiler has a date of May 1978 stamped on,!!) or the kind of money involved for this. .....

thermocuple......gas valve......dirty pilot injector......RGI.....boiler service :?:

Pretty much covering the bases. Unless unlucky and you have a faulty valve, it shouldn't be much more than a ton. Possibly less.

Sponsored Links
... thats a relief.... I will need a new boiler at some point I supose ... currently have an old cylinder in bathroom but was considerring getting rid of it.??? I live in a typical 3 bed semi - needs a new bathroom kitchen etc.... any idea on what type / make of boiler would be advisable.... it all seems like a minefield with so many and so much money involved.... thanks for the advice so far guys.... I'm feeling a bit less stressed now... :confused:

This is a great boiler. Parts are available for it.

Put a new case seal on a 30 yr old one recently. The cover was almost falling off :eek: , as one of the top brackets had broken (these come with the seal kit) and the other was loose. Boiler perfect otherwise.

If the cover hasn't been off for a while, you may also need a new case seal, available from Parts Center (plumb Center).

thanks for the advice guys... a quick trip to PTS and one hour and a £9 thermocouple later and everything is fine again,, :) ... its 33 years old now... I wonder just how long it will last....

thanks for the advice guys... a quick trip to PTS and one hour and a £9 thermocouple later and everything is fine again,, :) ... its 33 years old now... I wonder just how long it will last....

If you look after it, probably a few more years.

Don't let the tree huggers convince you to spend a couple of large ones to replace it with a nice shiny condenser. It will take the condenser ten years to pay for itself with money saved on gas. Trouble is, it will probably be on its last legs then. :(

You have proved that these old boilers are built to last, and can often be fixed for pennies. If anyone has a new old-stock WRS, I'll buy it.

Just scrapped one in Manchester, working, saved gas valve, stat, pilot etc for fleabay, will post out for 30 squid

Last edited:
Just seen how old original post was so deleted my addition. Why re-open such a long dead post?

Last edited:
one minute he can't afford a boiler then he goes on about enquiring for a new boiler , kitchen and bathroom after realising the thermocouple only cost £9 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: FFS'S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back