Help with painting doors/skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've recently painted my internal hall doors and skirting boards with white gloss. The doors are wooden and had been previously painted, not by me. However, with both objects the dried paint just peels off like a sticker, leaving the largely unaffected original surface. It's like I didn't paint it at all.

Just wondering if there's something very obvious I didn't do beforehand? Any help very much appreciated :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Wash with a good quality all purpose cleaner - Lidl W5 is one of the better ones.
2. Rub all over the old finish with 120 grit paper, paying particular attention to mouldings.
3. Fill any cracks or small holes with decoraters caulk and smooth it down with a finger dipped in soapy water.
4. Use a quality gloss paint, not the "quick drying stuff" and put it on with a foam mini roller where you can which you just bin when finished. Done right will give a finish with no brush marks.

Sponsored Links
Given the level of peeling I’d say it’s more likely the previous paint was oil-based and you used water-based over it.

So you either need to use oil-based again or a decent primer like BIN that will give you a key to take either type again.

Given the level of peeling I’d say it’s more likely the previous paint was oil-based and you used water-based over it.

So you either need to use oil-based again or a decent primer like BIN that will give you a key to take either type again.

Op hasn't returned since 8th August so clearly not an issue for them

True, but then again people search for things like this and this thread could show up so it can be good to still have responses, particularly if the most likely answer/reason hasn’t been explained yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back