Help with pipe connection sizes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See attached image.

I need to connect a toilet cistern to the mains inlet, Plumber got all the pipework in place with isolating valves, I now have to connect it.

A. elbow joint, would this be a 3/4 inch female to male and would I use PTFE tape to seal it on the cistern side? The flexi hoses appear to come with a rubber washer inside.

B. Would the flexi hose be 3/4 inch female to female?

Both the mains inlet and the cistern are 20mm OD.
pipe connect.jpg

Sponsored Links
who knows where you got that idea from but totally wrong just use a 15mm flexi hose

Sponsored Links
Am I confusing the end fittings thread diameter with the diameter of the flexi pipe?
In other words a 15 mm flexi will have end fittings to fit the 20mm outlet.

The thread on your WC filling valve ( float valve ) is 1/2 inch BSP thread. The thread on your isolation valve is the same. The flexi hose to join the two directly would be 1/2 inch bsp ,both ends. ( I wouldn't recommend you use that directly onto an isolation valve though ).The flexi hose in your pic has a compression fitting at one end,should you wish to use that type ,you would need a 15mm compression to 1/2 inch bsp flexible hose. The compression end would need a short piece of 15mm copper tube fitted between it ,and the isolation valve ( and an olive and nut ,as none showing in your pic )

Last edited:
Yes it does. Is your cistern concealed ( fitted inside a cabinet ), with a side entry float valve ? If so ,is there enough space between the cistern and cabinets side wall to accommodate the angled flexi ?

Yes it is concealed, out of interest why shouldn't I "The thread on your isolation valve is the same. The flexi hose to join the two directly would be 1/2 inch bsp ,both ends. ( I wouldn't recommend you use that directly onto an isolation valve though ) put it directly on to the isolation valve as I thought the rubber washer would seal it.

The iso valve does not have a flat mating surface for the rubber washer ,but is tapered on it's inside edge to accommodate the olive, so over tightening onto a rubber washer can split the washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back