help with potential disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I was mopping the floor in the bathroom upstairs and I knocked the mop bucket over. I got towels down quickly & got most of the moisture up. However yesterday (4 days later) I have noticed a hairline crack in my kitchen ceiling (underneath) & some slight moisture coming from approx 1 inch of the crack.

I have just put a duhimidifier into my bathroom. Now petrified my kitchen ceiling is going to come down on me.... advice please.

Sponsored Links
Advice?

Stop panicking. If there's slight moisture then it'll just be whatever you missed mopping up from the initial spill. It'll take more than that to bring the ceiling down. :)

If you're worried that there might be a pool of water still up there, which is unlikely, drill a small hole through the wettest part. In all probability, nothing will run out of it but at least you'll know. :) :) :)

PS: Don't bother with the dehumidifier. Bathrooms are naturally humid places - and your ceiling hasn't come down yet!

Thanks for replies. I have taken the bath panel off & the floor is still quite wet underneath where the water must have absorbed.

Shouldnt I stick with the dehumidifier for a couple of days to dry this out?

Also, the water (moisture) coming into the kitchen... how much longer should I expect this to carry on.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you're worried that there might be a pool of water still up there, which is unlikely, drill a small hole through the wettest part. In all probability, nothing will run out of it but at least you'll know.....!

And if it is full of water it will spill out all over your mains powered electric drill and we can start a new thread ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back