help with ring circuit

Sponsored Links
many thanks to whoever contributed to this thread. I have found 3 cables faulty, the last leg and 2 in the middle. all have short circuit L to E. replaced all and everything is working as it should. but I am still puzzled as how they got damaged. could be the patch of wire i used is bad quality? it is brand new insulation and new cables.

Sponsored Links
Top tip I took from this site some years ago- test the drum before you start.
That's something else I'd forgotten I used to do in 70's/80's. I had access to a BT hand cranked meggar and would take it to the wholesalers having had several faulty drums.

Can you/have you retrieved the failed sections? Does make mechanical damage unlikely if all 3 faults were L to E. Top tip I took from this site some years ago- test the drum before you start.
no I could not retrieve the failed section, it is a small cable runs between 2 close sockets and buried under the insulation then the screed. I run the new one along the wall behind the plaster board and will be covered by the skirting board.

You make it sound as though it's not in a safe zone.
this is what I have done? see pic below. the cable (represented by red line) comes down from the socket on the left to ground level just above the floor, separated from the floor by 10mm insulation, then pushed behind the plasterboard and will be covered by skirting board. I know it is not ideal but I believe it is safe. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

Attachments

• wire.jpeg
    wire.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 85
There is no safe zone behind the skirting board - so unless you create one with accessories that are part of that circuit the cable would need to have mechanical protection, eg earthed steel conduit, to be compliant with the regs. Also, the vertical cable run to the rightmost socket is too close to the edge of the safe zone for my liking (and it may even be outside it).

The problem is that someone may drill into the skirting board and hit the cable, there being nothing to indicated that a cable might be present - they wiill assume the the cable is chased into the wall horizontally.

Last edited:
Best to run the cable between the sockets horizontally in line with the accessories.

The problem is that someone may drill into the skirting board and hit the cable,
sorry forgot to mentioned that the floor will be tiled, another 20mm (tiles and adhesive) will be added. therefore, the skirting board will be above the the tiles and the cable will be below the lowest point of the skiting board by at least 10mm. Hence, even if someone drill onto the lowest point of the skirting board will not hit the cable. I have just test it by putting two tiles (10mm each) on top of each other, one represents the tile and the other one represent adhesive. And tries to point my drill and any angle and in every case it will not get the cable unless I drill into the tiles in which case it would pointless , why would anyone drill into the tiles?

thanks Sunray, I thought of that but believed that might not be safe as someone may drill into the wall thinking the cable is always runs vertical to the socket either from the bottom or from the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back