Help with testing

Sorry I got 2,d set of results incorrect, thought I knew them of top of my head. Let's start again and I will try explain better.

Ok gf socket ring. 14 double sockets
r1 is. 0.52
rn is 0.54
r2 is 0.87

There fore dividing them by 4 gives me a R1+ R2 of 47
However using osg method 1 continuity of cpc (linking l to e)pg 79
I get a R1+R2 of 0.51 at last socket on circuit.

If I use ring circuit method 3 pg 82, (line and cpc cross connected ) for R1+R2 test I get 0.35 at furthest socket.

Can u see my confusion? Osg says any of the methods can be used but both give me different answers and I don't know which test methid I should use????

I'm looking for advice, not for people to judge me, this is all a learning curve for me.

Sponsored Links

If I use ring circuit method 3 pg 82, (line and cpc cross connected ) for R1+R2 test I get 0.35 at furthest socket.

When testing a ring, the readings at all the sockets should be the same. That is the whole point of it being a ring.
If the readings are different at each socket, you are doing the test wrong.

There will be minor variations, particularly when using a plug in adaptor, as the resistance of the socket contacts and the switch in the socket will vary slightly.

How can they all be the same value when the reading at extremity of the ring should be the highest and recorded as R1 + R2? Straight from osg and gn3??

How can they all be the same value when the reading at extremity of the ring should be the highest and recorded as R1 + R2? Straight from osg and gn3??

You are getting confused with R1+R2 testing on a radial with the cross connection testing on a ring final, the former will give the highest reading on the furthest point, while the later should give the same value at all points assuming no spurs, because if you draw it out, it effectivly connects the two conductors in a big circle and you test between a point on that circle, and another point thats effectivly half way around the circle

Sponsored Links
Sorry I got 2,d set of results incorrect, thought I knew them of top of my head. Let's start again and I will try explain better.

Ok gf socket ring. 14 double sockets
r1 is. 0.52
rn is 0.54
r2 is 0.87

There fore dividing them by 4 gives me a R1+ R2 of 47

Can u see my confusion? Osg says any of the methods can be used but both give me different answers and I don't know which test methid I should use????

I'm looking for advice, not for people to judge me, this is all a learning curve for me.

As others have said for a ring you should end up with about the same value at each point on the ring - there may be a difference of .01 of an ohm or so but not much more.

One thing I said last time was to check and write the down the values for each point on the ring. If all the other values are the around the expected value then you either have a spur as the last socket you are testing or you may have a loose connection.

You should check the wiring behind the socket.

You need to verify the ring, do the cross connection test, if you draw this out on paper you will understand that there is no 'furthest point' and that each reading should be roughly the same with minimal tollerences. if for any reason the reading change then you have either got a damaged ring, a spur, a spur from a spur, a spur from a spur from a spur, a spur from a spur from a spur from a spur, a ring within a ring, a ring within a ring within a ring.

Have you installed this circuit yourself??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back