help with tiling bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.....ok......dont laugh
I want or should I say my wife wants me to tile our bathroom floor with our left over slate tiles from our kitchen. Now its is a newly built house ( 6years old now)..and the floor (is that horrible tongue and groove stuff..thats impossible to get up!!! and also very flexible and creaky!!!..I have tried several times in vain all over the house to stop the creaking of the floor..but have now learned to live with it!!!!!till now....cause now I know i cant have it moving if im going to tile over it...so my questions are???????
1, Can you tile straight over this tongue and groove flooring????
and 2...can you use silicon sealant to put them down with instead of adhesive ( me thinking it would be a, flexible b, water tight c, give good adhesion )...also can you grout with it to??

please be gentle if this idea is totally stupid!!!!!

Any replies or help most welcome...

Sponsored Links
hotspot007 said:
Hi everyone.....ok......dont laugh
1, Can you tile straight over this tongue and groove flooring????
and 2...can you use silicon sealant to put them down with instead of adhesive ( me thinking it would be a, flexible b, water tight c, give good adhesion )...also can you grout with it to??

I'm not laughing - it's the sort of thing I might have tried myself had not bitter experience intervened. I'm not a tiling expert but the answer to the silicone question is No. What you need is tile cement with a rubber-based - therefore flexible - additive in it. BAL makes a product that looks exactly what you're after. The usual procedure with a bouncy floor is to screw down sheets of marine ply and then lay on top. However, BAL claims this product will allow you to lay on top of tongue and groove. Can't vouch for that but have a look for yourself:
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/bal_products/fastflex.asp

If you read the small print on Fastflex you will see that the chipboard needs to be on joists that are at 300mm cts, firm and with no noticeable movement. I've never seen a modern house that has this 400+ is the norm let alone the need for intermediate nogging. Even the chipboard makes do not recommend tileing straight onto their board.

Look at Gcol's sticky, you basically have two options overboard with at least 15mm ply or lift the chipboard and replace with ply etc.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back