Help with window locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit a lock to this window (see pic) can anyone out there tell me the best way to do this? It looks to me like the previous owners of our house have removed some sort of lock and taken it with them. It's an aluminium frame. Short of replacing the handle for a lockable one, I can't seem to find a solution that uses the existing holes in the frame. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Do a search on lockable cockspur window handle, plenty on ebay, it's not expensive, check all the measurements of the holes dimension and the handle thickness etc

Also the strike plate wedges for cockspur handle

Any ideas on how to get the old handle off? Appears to be held on with rivets at the moment. Want to take it off so I can measure before buying new handles. Cheers!

I did the same thing for my old house, drill the rivets carefully. It may only be riveted as someone has already removed the screws which left too big a hole.

The cockspur locking handles have a variety of different depths which is the depth of the strike plate plus the depth of the plastic from the edge of the closing bit to the edge of the frame if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas on how to get the old handle off? Appears to be held on with rivets at the moment.
As mentioned drill it out, the rivets ring is only soft metal
Want to take it off so I can measure before buying new handles. Cheers!
You can measure the handle while it's still on the windows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back