Help with wireless thermostat wiring

If the central heating works but all the time then it is a case of replacing one of the red loop wires with the thermostat. However if central heating is not working then may be looking at a motorised valve. It would be unusual to have a combi boiler with motorised valve but when I posted I did not know it was a combi boiler.
Something seems wrong.
upload_2015-10-23_22-54-58-png.86884

Blue = neutral
Brown = line
Blue = neutral which seems to be linked to the red loop cables. One would not normally switch the neutral and the diagram you show does have live switched not neutral. So it would seem some one has fiddled with the wiring? It is therefore not safe to advise how to wire. This needs some one with the skill to work out what has been done to ensure everything is safe.

Sponsored Links
I suspect what has happened is the original wiring was hardwired to a thermostat programmable timer, when this failed and replaced with the current thermostat only, then the wiring was adjusted to take account of thermostat only and bypass the programmable timer part.
Just my laymans thinking.

Yes.

All I can say with the information available is that:

You will have to find the other end of the Red and Yellow from the existing thermostat (could be at the valve) and connect to the Com and NO of the receiver (plus supply to L and N).
Although, if it was only a temporary solution and the old timer has been by-passed it may not be totally correct.

I can check that even if only out of interest as I think it is in my best interest to get an electrician, straight forward electrics I am ok with but I wouldnt be confident with this based on previous comments, I have a retired electrician will do it for £20 so not worth the risk with my lack of knowledge.

Thanks all for the input.

Sponsored Links
I will have to force the £20 as he wont take anything, which is why I get a guilty feel when I ask for help.

Give him a decent payment, and tell him to give what he doesn't want to his favourite charity.

Update, payment made to electrician and electrics now sorted. As anticipated he wouldnt take payment but eventually put the money in his pocket and told him to fekc off! :)
His first look at it he came to the same conclusion as some of the posters as in the wiring didnt stack up, he went away and phoned a couple of days later and had a solution, I think a case of it niggled him and he wasnt going to beaten. He did a few checks when he came back and got it sorted.
Really nice guy he even offered to come back and mount the receiver on the wall for me, which I declined as I am more than capable of doing that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back