Help! Worcester Heatslave blowing trip after draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've just drained my central heating system to fit a magnetic filter. Having done so, I refilled it, bled all the radiators, towel rail, and the three bleed points on the boiler, pushed the diverter valve arm to the latching position, turned the hot water thermostat fully anti-clockwise, and powered up.
The fan runs for a while as normal, the programmer display lights up and shows midnight, but as soon as I try to turn either the heating or the hot water on (using the buttons on the programmer), the RCD on the consumer using feeding the boiler just trips.

I can cycle through "Off", "Twice", "Once", but as soon as the arrow moves to "on", the RCD just trips.
I can't think of anything that draining and refilling the system might have done to cause this, does anyone have any thoughts, please?
It was working fine this morning!

Sponsored Links
"Diverter arm" ??? Show us a pic of this please.
The most obvious thing is water getting onto electrics.
Does the boiler fire up and run with any of the selections on the programmer ,hot water or heating ?

"Diverter arm" ??? Show us a pic of this please.
The most obvious thing is water getting onto electrics.
Does the boiler fire up and run with any of the selections on the programmer ,hot water or heating ?

Here's the utterly weird thing. It's working again now!

I wondered whether when bleeding it, I had inadvertently squirted or dripped some water on something, but couldn't see anything at all.

I then started wondering if, when draining it, some muck had lodged in the pump and jammed it. I have a generator, so in desperation, I ran an extension lead from the generator and plugged the boiler into that (it's on a 3-pin plug because when we have power cuts, I can run it from the generator). And for some strange reason, it worked! I ran it for an hour to get the radiators hot and re-bled everything. Released the diverter valve arm (which, I have to say, didn't go anywhere, it just stayed where it was, but it is unhooked from the little notch in the body of the valve casing), and then plugged it back into its wall socket, and it still works!

I'm absolutely baffled as to why this might be so - possibly the generator feeding the pump through a good, old-fashioned 13A fuse, was just enough to get the impeller turning again? Dunno, I'm clutching at straws, but it's a windy night, so I'm not complaining!

Thanks for the response!

Sponsored Links
Glad your sorted .Maybe it dried out. Doesn't take much moisture on electrics to trip an RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back