Help working out the wiring system in my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Just moved into a new house and am struggling to work out how all he electrics work.

im not interested in messing around with it all, just really want to educate myself on how it all works.

One particular thing is baffling me, i have electricity in the shed where their is a light and a big chest freezer attached but i dont get how the electricity is wired up to their. There is a fused switch in the kitchen which controls the power out their, but from their it gets a bit confusing, i have attached a drawing of what it all looks like, as explaining it might be a bit confusing.

Is this the right way of connecting this up??

Thanks In advanced , Gary

Sponsored Links
Hi, what's the standard of workmanship ? Can you post some pictures ?

The wiring diagram is ok, if the switch fuse controlling the light has a 3a fuse fitted, the random earth wire should be investigated !

Is the supply to the circuit RCD protected ?

Regards,

DS

Ohh, see now to me that looks like a spur off a spur which shouldnt be done right?

anyway here are some pics.

so what i can see, the double plug on the right their has one set of power cables going into in making me think that that is a spur.

The fused switch on the left is my main on off switch for outside.

comes out and into the ground

here the electrics come back out of the ground ( from the black flexipipe at the bottom) and inside that box is a pretty basic look choc block.
the white cable on the right goes to the light, and the left cable to the freezer as per the diagram

the earth you can see comes from behind the switch and leads to that big coil in front which has no end.

the light its attached to.

Thanks Alot

Hi, from the pictures i would advise you have the job done properly, it's as rough as a badgers…… The wiring in the kitchen needs investigating, as you have noticed the FCU suppling the shed has 1 cable 'in' and the double socket has been spurred from that, so not compliant. You need to check the freezer is adequately earthed.

Rewire of shed and dedicated supply for first job in 2015 !

And RCD ?

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
The wiring in the kitchen needs investigating, as you have noticed the FCU suppling the shed has 1 cable 'in' and the double socket has been spurred from that, so not compliant.
It certainly needs investigating, but I don't think we currently know enough to draw any conclusions. The double socket in the kitchen could come off the load side of the FCU, hence compliant. I also wonder if it's possible that there is a second (not yet noticed and/or reported) cable going to that double socket, such that the FCU and that socket could actually both be part of a ring - again compliant.

Lots of possibilities, and only careful investigation will reveal what is going on, and whether it is compliant.

Kind Regards, John

Its rather old.

I wonder if the earth cable was for an earth rod ?

Whats that double socket in the shed with a fuse in it ? ? ?

Hi, yes thanks all. It seems like all the connections he added on have been Connected to an FCU first so I'm hoping he atleast knew about the safety aspect of the bits he was doing. From my research I think that it is. Compliant, but in that sorta grey area I think.

Also up in the loft their is more wiring that is a bit ofodd to me , but again just trying to work out the logistics of it. I drew it up to uunderstand it better

Can someone tell me if this is safe . where it says 'spur 1' that is a fused 13amp switch .

JB stand for junction box ( like a choc block in a circle plastic house)

'Blank' is just like a switchless plate.

The circles with nothing written in them are holes in the ceiling where the cables come through.

PB is a 30ma power breaker that is connected to a junction box and in turn the shower and a outdoors PIR light.

The switch on the bottom left also connects to the loft light and how it is wired on the diagram.

Does this look right?

Thanks

AndyPRK";p="3280392 said:
Its rather old.

I wonder if the earth cable was for an earth rod ?

Whats that double socket in the shed with a fuse in it ? ? ?[/quote

Its like a typical fused multiplug you can buy anywhere.

There it is, all about their ability to look over there and decide their own fate.

So there !

;)

IMAG0255.jpg
Left (top) circuit:
It's difficult to say whether it's compliant or not without knowing what kind of circuit it is and how it is connected.
If everything is protected by the fuse then it will be alright if a bit of a mess.

Right (bottom) circuit:
Is it just a shower pump rather than an electric shower?

Then if it is a radial circuit protected by a 15A fuse or 16A MCB - or an FCU somewhere - it could be alright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back