Freezer shocks

In the chapel the water tap, lead pipe up from the ground, was next to the urn so a second point of contact with very low impedance was to hand.
Fair enough - so were people only experiencing the 'mild shocks' when touching this path to ground as well as the urn? Even if that were the case, in the absence of faults, I presume that the only path for any current would be through the 'tiny capacitances' I mentioned, which presumably would limit it to a very low level.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
watery appliances, such as kettles, immersion heaters and urns, often have earth leakage as their heating elements age.

They are the most common items to fail PAT test.

watery appliances, such as kettles, immersion heaters and urns, often have earth leakage as their heating elements age. They are the most common items to fail PAT test.
Indeed, but I would count that as 'a fault', and the recent comments I've made have all been qualified by "in the absence of a fault". What you say is, of course, the reason why it's so important that these appliances are (if Class I) earthed - the combination of 'a fault' (whether called 'leakage' or whatever) and the absence of an earth is obviously highly undesirable (aka dangerous)!

Kind Regards, John

Yup a Zs and a quick earth-freezer body continuity test should clear things up in about 5 minutes
Maybe! I'm still wondering about all this. If the shed has a dry wooden (or whatever) floor and the OP was wearing shoes, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to get a significant shock from touching the freezer casing even if it were at 230/240V above earth. A bit more description about 'the shock' might be helpful.

Kind Regards, John

Similar experience - our brass face plate light switches were measuring 254v between the screws and a nearby rad - yet i only ever got a tingle off the face plate (tiled floor) which is what led me to discover the broken earth in that section of house and live to earth fault. If i'd have touch the rad at same time i'm pretty sure it would have been a different sensation.

Sponsored Links
... which is what led me to discover the broken earth in that section of house and live to earth fault. If i'd have touch the rad at same time i'm pretty sure it would have been a different sensation.
Quite so - as I said, that (absent earth and L-E fault) is the nightmare combination of circumstances that one does not want to experience. If the earth is present, the appearance of the L-E fault would (hopefully) cause something to trip (or a fuse to blow).

Kind Regards, John

This was really the point of my question (but trying not to lead); maybe the freezer was well earthed but something else - like a switch plate - was 'live' .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back