Freezer shocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after a bit of advice here guys.. we have a chest freezer in the shed bottom of the garden and last week my other half said she got a shock... though she was a drama queen until I went in it tonight and I got a shock, it feels as if static electricity, just like a zap.. all electrics in the home have been rewired in the last 5 years so all ok there .. the freezer is getting a bit old so if dodgy I will unplug and get a new one

Sponsored Links
What's it made of? Metal? Sounds like it could be leaking a bit of current to earth and not have a brilliant earth connection, either the socket or freezer itself (more likely I guess)

Do you have any testing equipment at all?

Take the back of the plug off and check the earth cable is in the earth pin

Just after a bit of advice here guys.. we have a chest freezer in the shed bottom of the garden and last week my other half said she got a shock... though she was a drama queen until I went in it tonight and I got a shock, it feels as if static electricity, just like a zap.. all electrics in the home have been rewired in the last 5 years so all ok there .. the freezer is getting a bit old so if dodgy I will unplug and get a new one
So it was okay for the missus to get a belt last week, but now you have had one, you require help?

Sponsored Links
What's it made of? Metal? Sounds like it could be leaking a bit of current to earth and not have a brilliant earth connection, either the socket or freezer itself (more likely I guess)

Do you have any testing equipment at all?

Take the back of the plug off and check the earth cable is in the earth pin

yes metal housing.. will check tomorrow on the plug and see connections where it enters the freezer itself,,, my other half wont go near it now, bit wary myself ..if it is earthed correctly I may just bin it... but I would rather repair if I can

So it was okay for the missus to get a belt last week, but now you have had one, you require help?

:D :D :D that is what she said derryboy but I did say she is a drama queen :D

Though any leakage may be low, I'm wondering what any RCD is doing in all of this, there is one fitted I hope?

Maybe better to cut your losses and buy a new one as even if you fix it your other half will never trust it and it won't get used.
If you do get a new one you still need to check the RCD is working and the earth is sound.

It might sound silly but, in the short term until you sort the problem, you could just unplug it when you need something and then plug it back in when you've done! Sounds perfectly safe to me.

Bodgeitandleggit said:
a chest freezer in the shed bottom of the garden.... the shed has a feed from the house and it has its own CU

Getting a new (plastic) freezer might stop the shocks but could you give more details of the supply to the shed. Does the shed CU have an RCD? Any earth rods involved? Do you know if your house supply is TT/PME/TN-S? If not we like pictures.
It might be the dodgy old freezer is to blame, but it's really important that you prove the shed supply is OK.

If the supply to the shed is not properly earthed getting a new freezer won't help. Getting shocks off the freezer MUST mean it is not earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back